Question Status

Suggested Answer
SaraM asked a question on 20 Oct 2010 8:52 AM

Hi there!
I am really not familiar with this program but am trying to optimize it for our store.   I am trying to delete items from our inventory/item list that haven't been sold in over a year.  Is this possible?  The version of Store Operations Manager we have is 2.0.0123 which I am guessing is really old.  I can pull a report of items that haven't been sold for over a year but can't seem to figure out how to delete them or if it's possible.  

I read something about making items inactive- will this prevent them from showing up in the item list?  How to I pull a group of items to be made inactive?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge!  I hope someone can help!

Thanks!
Sara 

Suggested Answer
J.D. Young responded on 20 Oct 2010 11:33 AM

You should not delete any items that have had any transaction history (sales, PO's, etc.) or you will create gaps in multiple tables including customer purchase histories. Instead you should mark old items inactive. This will prevent them from displaying in normal searches and reports.

How to mark items inactive in bulk --

Option 1 (the hard way): Manager, Wizards, Inventory Wizard, Task 210: Make items inactive, select filter value(s), generate the worksheet, remove any items you don't want affected, Commit changes.

Option 2 (the easy way): Download www.digitalretailer.com/files/DRSToolsSetup.zip

Installer password: dt063010

Run DRS Tools, connect to your RMS database, select Maintenance, Mark Inactive, press F5 to view current candidates (items with no activity in over one year, or change cut-off date in upper right and press F5), Mark all or selected, enable Remove matrix class orphans, click Save. Wait for the screen to clear then Exit. Repeat every month or so to keep your database clean.

If there are valid deletion candidates on file (none in stock, no activity on file), you can delete them safely by selecting Maintenance, Deletions and following similar steps.

SaraM responded on 20 Oct 2010 11:48 AM

Thanks JD!  Will these inactive items still show on the items list?

Suggested Answer
Rick McKeon responded on 21 Oct 2010 7:15 AM

You can use the Inventory Wizard to make the items inactive.  Making them inactive is typically better than deleting them because you still have the reference to them, but you can exclude them from any reporting, and it will solve your stated problem of having them show up at the store level.  Stores do not see inactive items.  Also, if at any point in time you need to reactivate them, you can.

In order to use the Inventory Wizard, you have to be in Maintenance Mode.

A dialog box will appear.  Scroll down through the list till you see "Task 210: Make Items Inactive"

Then you can add items to be made inactive by department, category, etc. including "Add Items Manually," which may be the best answer for you.  It's actually easier than it sounds.

Bob Johnson responded on 26 Oct 2010 7:16 AM

Hey J.D. I have downloaded and installed DRSTools and connected to the database and clicked on Mark Inactive>F5 and it doesnt bring up the window you discussed earlier post. Do you have any suggestions to help me evaluate this software. Thanks

shahajil responded on 4 Jun 2014 7:36 AM

Hi,

The installer password is not working. can u please tell me wats the password ?

Thanks in advance

Suggested Answer
cardworks responded on 12 Jun 2014 9:00 PM

Using the inventory wizard, it is pretty easy to delete everything in a single category or department. If you take the time to move all your items into a new department called 'Inactive' (or whatever you want to call it) you can then make everything in that department inactive. Keep in mind that, even if the item is inactive, it will still appear if a cashier scans it at checkout.

Suggested Answer
J.D. Young responded on 20 Oct 2010 11:33 AM

You should not delete any items that have had any transaction history (sales, PO's, etc.) or you will create gaps in multiple tables including customer purchase histories. Instead you should mark old items inactive. This will prevent them from displaying in normal searches and reports.

How to mark items inactive in bulk --

Option 1 (the hard way): Manager, Wizards, Inventory Wizard, Task 210: Make items inactive, select filter value(s), generate the worksheet, remove any items you don't want affected, Commit changes.

Option 2 (the easy way): Download www.digitalretailer.com/files/DRSToolsSetup.zip

Installer password: dt063010

Run DRS Tools, connect to your RMS database, select Maintenance, Mark Inactive, press F5 to view current candidates (items with no activity in over one year, or change cut-off date in upper right and press F5), Mark all or selected, enable Remove matrix class orphans, click Save. Wait for the screen to clear then Exit. Repeat every month or so to keep your database clean.

If there are valid deletion candidates on file (none in stock, no activity on file), you can delete them safely by selecting Maintenance, Deletions and following similar steps.

Suggested Answer
Rick McKeon responded on 21 Oct 2010 7:15 AM

You can use the Inventory Wizard to make the items inactive.  Making them inactive is typically better than deleting them because you still have the reference to them, but you can exclude them from any reporting, and it will solve your stated problem of having them show up at the store level.  Stores do not see inactive items.  Also, if at any point in time you need to reactivate them, you can.

In order to use the Inventory Wizard, you have to be in Maintenance Mode.

A dialog box will appear.  Scroll down through the list till you see "Task 210: Make Items Inactive"

Then you can add items to be made inactive by department, category, etc. including "Add Items Manually," which may be the best answer for you.  It's actually easier than it sounds.

Suggested Answer
cardworks responded on 12 Jun 2014 9:00 PM

Using the inventory wizard, it is pretty easy to delete everything in a single category or department. If you take the time to move all your items into a new department called 'Inactive' (or whatever you want to call it) you can then make everything in that department inactive. Keep in mind that, even if the item is inactive, it will still appear if a cashier scans it at checkout.