System Message 10232 and network disconnects

• Comments 4

It used to be that the slightest drop in network connection between SL and the SQL server would cause a succession of SQL errors (10054, 10005, etc).  Most always it was a failing piece of hardware or external force such as a router, switch, NIC, squirrel chewing on a network cable, etc.

When Server 2008/Windows vista/Windows 7 came out, it seems these operating systems helped Microsoft Dynamics SL to recover better from a dropped network connection and we here in support saw a decline in instances of this happening.  Though I don't know what may have changed technically, I can only conclude it had something to do with the combination of Operating System version and version of Microsoft Dynamics SL.

Recently, we have had several reports of sporadic 10232 errors in various screens and during various processes in Microsoft Dynamics SL.  In troubleshooting these issues, it seems as if these errors may be related to dropped network packets (signifying a network disconnect). 

If there is anyone reading this blog who has experienced, or has a customer who has experienced this type of behavior in Microsoft Dynamics SL, please reply in the comments section with any details you may be able to provide.  If  you have access to network monitoring software, you may want to implement it in your environment and see if there are any instances where the 10232 error coincides with a network disconnect.

• Adam, I have a customer that is experiencing  sporadic SQL Error 10005 DBPROCESSOR dead as well as -  Login failed for user 'ACCTSERVICES\lsmith'. Reason: Token-based server access validation failed with an infrastructure error. Check for previous errors. [CLIENT: 192.165.1.1]

This seems to happen more frequently lately.  I have asked the users to call me when they get the error the next time (as I am on site) so I can see all the related messages.  It isn't module specific nor user specific.  For example I have a person in cash manager yesterday receive the error, today is was an AP entry screen.   This customer is not using windows authentication.  They are on SQL 2008; SL 7.0 SP3.  Customer has a 11 databases, with 16 SL user licenses; however they have 32 users listed in the user maintenance.  Would they get this message if they are out of user licenses?

They have been adding new companies over the last couple of weeks.  I am going to SYNC Ownership tonight after all the users are out.  

I have search google for on the "Login Failed" message and will discuss with their DBA.  

If you have any suggestions please let me know.  Or if there is information I can gather to help you let me know.

sandy

• Hi Sandy,

Sorry for the delay in replying to your comment -- I did not get notification that there was one.  A SQL 10005 (and 10054) error typically indicates a dropped connection to the SQL server. SL requires a constant connection to the SQL server without any drops.  The disconnect could be the result of a failing piece of hardware such as a router, NIC, or switch somewhere in the network.  We can point you in the right direction regarding troubleshooting to see if it is in fact network disconnects causing the issue.  It typically involves a network monitoring app that watches for dropped packets.  Troubleshooting of the actual cause for the disconnects is generally handled by on-site IT staff as they will have access to the hardware in question.  If you have any resources at your disposal I would recommend checking for disconnects to the SQL server first.

• I have a client that post a large number of GL Batches at once which can take up to 2.5 hours to complete.  They are experiencing 10232 error quit often during this process.  They are on SL v 7.0, Windows 7 x64 workstations and Windows 7 server 2003 R2 x64.

• Adam

We have a client who is experiencing this issue as you have exactly described.  He is on his third client system.  IT has replaced switches and network devices.  He is the only one who is consistently experiencing this issue.  As mentioned it happens in various screens and processes.  There is a lot of frustration around it based on the investment of time taken to troubleshoot.  Any new developments from your end would be appreciated.

Mike