Hi,

My company has recently implemented Dynamics 365 (CRM) and we would like to have some Power BI reporting against it. For various reasons, using a standard Power BI data connector to connect to D365 isn't the approach I shall take. I have, in theory, devised a solution architecture and would like to share it with you for you to provides your thoughts on what I propose.

1) I would like to use the Entity Store to de-normalise the D365 relational data to a more multi-dimensional model. (D365 >> Entity Store)
2) Once the Entity Store has been created I will use the Data Export Services tool to export the Entity Store data over to a, pre-built based on the Entity Store schema, Azure SQL database. (Entity Store >> Azure SQL)
3) I shall then use the SQL Server (or Azure SQL) connector from within Power BI to start the creation of reporting. (Azure SQL >> Power BI)

To me, this approach sounds plausible, however as this is just theory through research and that I haven't actually implemented it yet, I would like your thoughts on if this is achievable or if I have misunderstood what I have read. To elaborate on the above a little more...
I do not wish to report directly against the D365 Production environment so to not slow down the application for end-users.
At some point I would like to re-model the relational model to a multi-dimensional model so it is more optimised for reporting. Where do I do this re-modelling?  I could do it in Power BI, or create the Data Warehouse in Azure SQL, but I am hoping to make use of the Entity Store as I have read this is what it does - it de-normalises the model. I cannot report against the Entity Store directly as I've read only embedded reports can use the Entity Store, and as I'm not using embedded reports I cannot do this - hence then using Data Export Services to export the data to a pre-built Azure SQL database.  Can I use the Entity Store to do the de-normalising in this manner?

Can the Data Export Services export data from the Entity Store (if it can be used as I hope) to a pre-built Azure SQL database?

If you can confirm what I've stated above can be done, or correct me and point me in the right direction, then all it will be very much appreciated.

All contributions will be helpful.

Thanks in advance.