January Problem Solver of the MonthCongratulations to Sourav Dam for be selected in our monthly random drawing, Dynamics Community Problem Solver Sweepstakes.
Read aboug Sourav | Learn how to enter
2020 release wave 1 Discover the latest updates and new features to Dynamics 365 planned through September 2020
Release overview guides and videos Release Plan | Preview 2020 Release Wave 1 Timeline
Ace your Dynamics 365 deployment with packaged services delivered by expert consultants. | Explore service offerings
Connect with the ISV success team on the latest roadmap, developer tool for AppSource certification, and ISV community engagements | ISV self-service portal
The FastTrack program is designed to help you accelerate your Dynamics 365 deployment with confidence.
FastTrack Program | Finance TechTalks | Customer Engagement TechTalks | Upcoming TechTalks
I am creating a template for each product. The template includes the product specifications, which can change regularly.
My products have three categories: Red, Black and Green. The template background is variable, depending on the category.I can't create one template for all the products, because of the color category, and because of the graphic, which can be variable. I tried using the entity image, but this always appears as a small square, and is insufficient.
Therefore, it looks like each product will need it's own template.
This is fine with me, but I want to restrict the available template for users, based on the product record, or product catgeory record.
Is there a way to do this?
I am assuming you are referring to "Document Template"
1. There is no readily available configuration settings to achieve this
2. The ability to implement customization on top of document templates is kind of limited. So your requirement is not feasible in this way.
3. I am surprised with the approach you are going in, like creation of one template for each product. I am not sure about the number of products in this scenario, but about the process to maintain all those. Any small change needs to be re-implemented in all the document templates (for example, it there are 100 products, first you need to create 100 document templates. If there is on change, you need to implement this change in 100 templates one by one.)
4. I suggest you go with one custom SSRS report. Your requirement will also be satisfied. Every user uses the same report.
5. D365 Products (entity ownership type: Organization). You may not be able to restrict access to individual products per user
So the best approach is to go ahead with a report
@ba365guy Thank you for the answer. Regarding 3, I'm on a shoestring budget here, and I've never heard of custom SSRS reports. The changes that are more likely to occur are the product details, as opposed to the template, however I was stuck being able to format the entity picture properly to be able to at least create 3 different category reports. I want the entity picture to take up 100% of the width, 25% of the height of the document. If I could get that, I've at least reduced my templates to three.
Thank you for the suggestion, and I'm happy to hear that we can solve it with custom SSRS reports. I will be looking up tutorials today.
Business Applications communities