Pretty much every Dynamics AX implementation I’ve been involved in so far has required the import of stock on-hand at go-live (although as it happens, my current project doesn’t include any inventory management initially – still they’ll get around to that eventually).

I’ve used various methods to import stock on hand in the past – and typically this is done as a movement journal. You probably know that with an Inventory movement journal you can specify the off-set inventory account – whereas with an inventory adjustment journal (or a counting journal) the offset account is defined by the item’s posting profile – typically defined by the item’s Item group.

In Dynamics AX 2012 R3 we have the Data import export framework (DIXF) – and this is a walk-through of importing an inventory movement journal.

First we setup the DIXF parameters. Data import export framework > Setup > Data import /export framework parameters:

You need to have a working directory setup.

Next we’ll setup the import format as a CSV file. Data import export framework > Setup > Source data formats:

The DIXF comes with a number of standard ‘Target entities’ – we need the inventory journal. Data import export framework > Setup > Target entities:

The Target entity defines the format of the Staging table, and maps it to the actual Dynamics AX tables.

I’m working in the AX 2012 R3 CU9 Hyper-V demo image, and to get this to work, I had to cheat a bit. First I opened the AOT and made the field EntityTypeName editable

Then back on the Target entities form I set the ‘Entity’ field:

There’s no reason why you should have to do that – but no point in me missing out a step I took is there?

To use the Target entity we need a Processing group. Go to Data import export framework > Common > Processing group and create a new Processing group:

Click on the ‘Entities’ button and select the ‘Inventory journal’ Target entity and the CSV file format:

Now we can use the ‘Generate source file’ wizard to setup our input file:

I’ve selected the fields I want to import, and arranged them into a logical sequence.

‘Generate sample file’ flicks those fields into Notepad and I can save the file as a CSV file:

Back in the Processing groups’ ‘Select entities for processing group’ form, enter that file as your sample file, and click ‘Generate source mapping’:

You should get:

Now click ‘Validate’. I’m not sure what it does, but why wouldn’t you click a button called ‘Validate’?

Now we’re ready to open our CSV file in Excel and add some data:

And save the CSV file. Incidentally, I’m sure you’ve noticed that after you’ve save the CSV file, when you close Excel it prompts you to save your spreadsheet. I guess you only go into that endless loop once.

Back on the ‘Select entities for processing group’ form, it’s worth clicking ‘Preview source file’ – if that doesn’t work here, you’re not going to get much further:

So far, so good. Back to the Processing group and Click on ‘Get staging data’:

If you’re doing a lot of imports enter a Description, but it’s optional. Click OK:

That’s the default Source file we entered above – it’s the one we want to use, so just click ‘Run’ but we can at this point enter a different import file (but of course it has to have the same format). Run gives us the option to setup a batch job:

Just click Ok to run on-line and you should get:

Nearly there – back on the Processing group click ‘Copy data to target’:

You have to enter/select your import to staging Job ID (and now you can see why it’s a good idea to enter a meaningful Description when you copy data to Staging). OK gives you another Run form:

Not so obvious, but if you have a huge data import this is where you can set it up for multi-threading by the batch job you’re about to create (by specifying a number of Bundles). We’ll press on and click Run:

No surprises – you know what to do. OK gives:

Phew, I was holding my breath. Let’s see if the journal’s there:

What, no Lines? Go the History tab and click on ‘Recalculation’:

That’s better. Inspect the lines:

Optionally, validate, and then Post.

Success!

In a previous post I talked about customising the Processing group mapping to make the import format easier for the user. A user friendly data import framework in Dynamics AX 2012-R3, and one option is to set a field for Automatic generation:

That works perfectly for the Line number, and Dynamics AX tries to do the right thing for the Journal number by looking up the number sequence – the problem is it gets carried away and generates a new Journal number for each line. Slightly amusing if you import three lines, not so funny if you import 30,000: