SBX - Forum Post Title

Financial dimensions and posting with not fixed dimension

Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations Forum

PICCIN AYMERIC asked a question on 13 Jun 2018 9:29 AM
My Badges

Question Status

Suggested Answer

Hi everybody, 

I can't figure out how to handle not fixed dimension financial on my main account.

My purpose is to set a not fixed financial dimension on my main account in case of a transaction will be empty of it as an counting journal. But if there is a financial dimension already set on my transaction I want this particular dimension to be use by the system in the voucher. 

I'm using the below document to set my main account: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics365/unified-operations/financials/general-ledger/default-dimensions

It says that "If a financial dimension is Not fixed, it uses a default value, but that value can be overwritten. " What I understand is, if there is another financial dimension in my transaction, the system uses it but if not he uses the not fixed dimension.

Does anyone have an idea on how to configure D365 to set a default financial dimension on a main account which can be overridden by a transaction? 

Kind regards, 

Suggested Answer

Hi Piccin,

If you are using a general journal, the not fixed dimension values will be initialized which can be overwritten. In your question, you are talking about counting journal. In that case, the not-fixed has no effect. You have to ensure a dimension will be provided by the user then. You can set default dimensions on a product. It is possible to not allow blank values using account structure settings. That will prevent the journal from posting if the dimension value is blank. Then a value should be provided to be able to post the counting journal.

PICCIN AYMERIC responded on 14 Jun 2018 7:39 AM
My Badges

Hi André,

Thank a lot for your quick reply.

What is the rank of the financial dimension set on the item level in regard of the others?

Please find below some details on my case :

I must have a financial dimension project on my transaction. I set a fixed dimension on my main account to avoid selecting each dimension in my counting journal where I might have one or two thousand lines, and in general to avoid people who are using inventory management to select financial dimension. The problem is, by doing that the fixed project dimension set on my main account override the other when I use  my item for another purpose such as an item requirement.

If financial dimension set on the item is the last ranked by the system to apply financial dimension in a transaction that might work I guess.

Kind regards,

Hi Piccin,

I will try to explain it with some other words. The fixed dimension option is always overriding the value you set manually on journals. So, you have to change this for these main accounts to have it not fixed. If you then have a default dimension value on the item master, it will copy this value into the counting journal. A user would be able to change this on the journal before it gets posted.

PICCIN AYMERIC responded on 15 Jun 2018 2:28 AM
My Badges

Hi André,

Ok that's understood. I resolve my case by setting the project dimension on the item master, this dimension is well override by a specific value on the journal level.

What I do not understand is the purpose of not fixed dimension and how to use them well, if you have a link toward a blog or something which explain in details how it work, I'll gladly welcome it.

Best regards,

Hi Piccin,

I'm not aware if any blog will describe your last question. When the dimension value on the main account is set as a fixed dimension value, it will override the setting of the counting journal during posting. So, for that reason, the setting on the main account should not be a fixed dimension value.

PICCIN AYMERIC responded on 15 Jun 2018 3:13 AM
My Badges

André,

I caught it for the fixed dimension, but what about the not fixed dimension?

Kind regards,

Suggested Answer

Hi Piccin,

If you are using a general journal, the not fixed dimension values will be initialized which can be overwritten. In your question, you are talking about counting journal. In that case, the not-fixed has no effect. You have to ensure a dimension will be provided by the user then. You can set default dimensions on a product. It is possible to not allow blank values using account structure settings. That will prevent the journal from posting if the dimension value is blank. Then a value should be provided to be able to post the counting journal.

SBX - Two Col Forum

SBX - Migrated JS