Personalized Community is here!
Quickly customize your community to find the content you seek.
Check out the latest Sales updates!Learn about the key capabilities and features of Dynamics 365 Sales and experience some of the new features.
Download overview guide | Watch Sales video
2020 Release Wave 2Discover the latest updates and new features to Dynamics 365 planned through March 2021.
Release overview guides and videos Release Plan | Preview 2020 Release Wave 2 TimelineWatch the 2020 Release Wave 1 virtual launch event
Ace your Dynamics 365 deployment with packaged services delivered by expert consultants. | Explore service offerings
Connect with the ISV success team on the latest roadmap, developer tool for AppSource certification, and ISV community engagements | ISV self-service portal
The FastTrack program is designed to help you accelerate your Dynamics 365 deployment with confidence.
FastTrack Program | Finance TechTalks | Customer Engagement TechTalks | Upcoming TechTalks
We are currently transitioning our product from the classic interface to the UUI and find that Filtered Lookups, although technically working do not load the Name values on the list. So essentially a list of puzzle icons appear but with nothing indicating which record is which. Through the classic interface it works perfectly.
We thought it was something in our code but when we tested on standard entities with standard fields we got the same result.
In Unified Interface, I am able to reproduce this behavior in my vanilla organization on few contact records. When I select them, it says (No Name) in the lookup as highlighted in below screenshot. This is expected because I don't have any value specified in primary fields of these records.
I am able to reproduce this is in Classic Web Client as per below screenshot :
Do you see the same behavior in both the places ?
Please confirm if you see the name as (No Name) when you select those records in the lookup. If yes, then that's the issue, the primary field values should be filled.
If this is helpful, kindly mark this comment as verified.
You might have checked below Lookup column that it has the correct Column, and this field has the value in records filtered.
Also can you please past any js you have used to do lookup filtering. thanks a lot
example if below code is written what attributes are selected
var customerAccountFilter = "<filter type='and'><condition attribute='contactid' operator='null' /></filter>";Xrm.Page.getControl("parentcustomerid").addCustomFilter(customerAccountFilter, "contact");}
Business Applications communities