Having worked with Microsoft Dynamics AX for 10 years, I continue to be impressed with the advancements that Microsoft has made with the product since acquiring the software from Navision in the summer of 2002.  Now, 10 years later, Microsoft has continued to build on the core strengths of the ERP in the financial, logistics, manufacturing, and distribution areas, while adding some very nice complimentary pieces around those modules.  In just the last few years, we have seen Shop Floor Control, Cost Accounting, Service Management, Expense Management, Payroll Management, Environmental Management, Public Sector, Professional Services, and Retail  all added to the core product.  In addition, there is an ever-growing list of niche Independent Software Vendors (ISVs) that provide very industry specific solutions that have pre-built, seamless, and completely tested integrations.

I have long been aware of the range Microsoft Dynamics AX offers, having worked on implementations from as few as 3 all the way up to 1,250 users.  However, over the last 6 months I have come to really respect and enjoy the range of industry and functionality the product can cover.  In just the last half year, I have had the pleasure of working on AX implementations at a professional sports league, a manufacturing and distribution company, an investment holding company, and a life sciences firm.  I have also gone to extensive training provided by Microsoft on the operational nuances of the Public Sector.  From a selfish perspective, I really enjoy this as it has made my career more interesting than ever, bouncing between these different lines of business.  

Looking at this from a big-picture prospective, this is a very positive development for Dynamics AX customers as well.  The more diverse functions a product can offer, the more likely that all of a customer’s needs will be met without extensive changes to the system.  This provides a path to a rapid deployment and painless upgrades to future releases.  Additionally, the more industries that the product can service, the more companies will use it.  The more companies that use an ERP, the more it will be developed not only internally by Microsoft, but externally by ISVs.  All of this points to an even brighter future for an already excellent product.

From core financials and best of breed solutions to vertical industry solutions like Manufacturing, Multi-Channel Retail, or Public Sector, McGladrey and Microsoft Dynamics AX can help you compete globally in this agile market.

McGladrey has served the ERP community for more than 30 years and is a proven Microsoft implementation leader. Our experienced professionals not only understand the issues facing your industry and provide fresh insights with tailored services, they also are Certified Microsoft Professionals for Dynamics AX 2012. 

Please contact us at erp@mcgladrey.com for more information on services or how we can help you with Microsoft Dynamics AX implementation. 

By:  John Hannan, McGladrey LLP – New York Microsoft Dynamics AX Partner