Recurring Journal

This question is answered

Hi AX Champs,

Can someone help me to map this scenario in AX 2012 R2.

For example; Yearly rent paid in advance for value of AED 12,000

Amount

Prepaid rent A/c

Dr

Bank A/c

Cr

Each month recurring entry of this prepayment amount should be posted automatically.

Rent A/c

Dr

Prepaid rent A/c

Cr

Thanks in advance,

KInd Regards,

Gaurav Chandak

Verified Answer
  • Hi Gaurav,

As mentioned in my previous reply, you have to use a standard general journal for retrieving the periodic journal lines. There is a function for it. Everytime you retrieve the lines, the date on the periodic journal will be set one month later. You can setup the period interval on or the periodic lines.

kind regards,

André Arnaud de Calavon  |  Microsoft Dynamics AX Solution architect  |  My blog  |  My company

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my company, Microsoft, both its employees, or other MVPs.

All Replies
  • You can use a periodic journal for the monthly amounts. When this is setup, you can retrieve the line in a general journal from the periodic journal and the next date in the periodic journal is updated. Please note that you have to take care of the end date (last  monthly posting) yourself in standard AX. If the yearly amount is recurring this is not that big problem. If the amount changes per year, you can change the periodic amount as well and then continue...

kind regards,

André Arnaud de Calavon  |  Microsoft Dynamics AX Solution architect  |  My blog  |  My company

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my company, Microsoft, both its employees, or other MVPs.

• Hello Andre,

Thanks for the quick reply. I created Perodic journal and crated a line in that. However, i did not found any "post" button over there to post the periodic journal.

Is only i have to create the periodic journal and keep it open and at the given data, system will post monthly expense ? If yes, then where i would be able to see the automatic posted journal.

Thanks in advance,

Kind Regards,

Gaurav

• Hi Gaurav,

As mentioned in my previous reply, you have to use a standard general journal for retrieving the periodic journal lines. There is a function for it. Everytime you retrieve the lines, the date on the periodic journal will be set one month later. You can setup the period interval on or the periodic lines.

kind regards,

• Thanks Andre, Got it ....

Thanks  a lot Genius....

Have a great day ahead,

Kind Regards,

Gaurav Chandak

• The best option you can use is Ledger Accrual Scheme. In this, you do not required to even post the journal as well. System will post it automatically.

• Yes , I also agree with Mohit .

@ André Arnaud de Calavon

Can i know why did you suggest the Periodic journal . I think there might some reason if you suggest Periodic journal instead of ledger accrual schemes.

Expecting the reason from your end .

• Hi Lally,

The ledger accrual can be useful as well. With the periodic journal you have no end date and you can change the amount when needed.

Also the accruals have the requirement that the ledger periods for all future periods do exist and are open for transactions.

If you have the rent paid yearly afterwards, you can better use the periodic journal for the monthly amounts. These figures are needed for monthly reporting.

Certainly, there are scenarios for using the ledger accruals.

kind regards,

• Thanks Andre for your detail explanation .

Could i know the business scenarios for using the ledger accruals as per your AX implementation experience. ?

• Hi Lally,

An example:

We have a subscription of a magazine which will be paid in advance per quarter. When posting the invoice you can specify the ledger accruals. Then the costs are spread across the three months of the quarter.

Note that a year and twelf months is also possible.

kind regards,

• Hello AX Champs,

I have same question, if you don't mind can you forward the previous reply.

Thank you,

AXlearner