AX 2012 R2 - Installation time.

This question has suggested answer(s)

I want to hear from the community about their installation experience:

1. How many hrs. should clean install take:

a) Windows Server 2008 R2 installation on HyperV.

b) AX 2012 installation with default settings.

c) Testing phrase.

-And it's good to have some clue about what is est. time in hrs. if no errors needs to be resolved, and because it's very seldom to manage clean install without errors, how many days or hrs. should I secure to be prepared for resolving most common things in the installation phrase?

All Replies
  • Approximately 35hrs for a non-prod environment is what we typically see.  That includes, AX AOS, EP, SSRS, Visual Studio.  The basics in other words.

Production will vary depending on the sizing, load balancing and other factors.

Tim Harris

AX Practice Manager

Western Computer

tim.harris@westerncomputer.com

Tim J. Harris
    AX PRACTICE MANAGER |  Western Computer
    office +1 (805) 830-8546 | mobile +1 (805) 341-6007
      | Twitter: @daxtalk

• Approximately 35hrs for a non-prod environment is what we typically see.  That includes, AX AOS, EP, SSRS, Visual Studio.  The basics in other words.

Production will vary depending on the sizing, load balancing and other factors.

Tim J. Harris

• Well the environment isn't big - only 8 users en less than 1.000 customers. I know AX isn't relevant for such a small company, but they are used to have AX so it will not be changed for now I think.

What do you think, should I secure 2 weeks? Does it secure data transport, users support and related task who is needed for prod. environment?

• How many environments are you setting up?  DEV, TEST, STAGING, PRODUCTION etc?

For each one it takes approx. 35hrs.  However you can get economies of scale by doing parallel installs as a lot of that time is compile time.

2 weeks should be fine for all non-prod environments.  

Tim J. Harris