How to mark a prepayment to a Sales order

This question has suggested answer(s)

Hi,

I have found various references for ability of AX to mark a prepayment to a Sales order. However, I found that unlike purchase order, SO doesn't have an option to mark a prepayment at the time of invoice.

I would appreciate if someone could tell me the steps to achieve it.

Regards,

Dwij

All Replies
  • Hi Dwij,

There is indeed a difference between PO and SO on the pre-payment. On the Sales order it is not there. :-(

You can use a workaround or have a customization for it.

kind regards,

André Arnaud de Calavon  |  Microsoft Dynamics AX Solution architect  |  My blog  |  My company

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my company, Microsoft, both its employees, or other MVPs.

• Andre Arnaud de Calavon
    You can use a workaround

Is there any standard work around is available in Axapta 2012 ?

• Hi,

One of possible solutions is to use a special item (service or with allowed negative inventory).

First you “Invoice” the item (advance invoice) and then the item is included in invoices with minus (Advance reduction).

• Hi Dwij and Lally,

Anton provided the possible work around. A manual procedure would be required to check whether the prepayment invoices are sent and the "advance" item is being deducted from the final invoice as well.

kind regards,

André Arnaud de Calavon  |  Microsoft Dynamics AX Solution architect  |  My blog  |  My company

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my company, Microsoft, both its employees, or other MVPs.

• Andre Arnaud de Calavon
    A manual procedure would be required to check whether the prepayment invoices are sent and the "advance" item is being deducted from the final invoice as well

Can you explain in detail about the sentence ?

Thanks innadvance

• Hi Lally,

As you can "forget" you invoiced the advance, you can invoice all remaining items on the invoice without deducting the earlier invoiced prepayment. SO within a procedure you have to pay attention on this manually.

(Or create some customizations)

kind regards,

• Yes, I have done customization to Dynamics AX 2012 to have Pre-Payment for customer against Sales Order same as Vendor and PurchaseOder.

We basically utilized the design of standard Vedor/PurchaseOder Pre-Payment functionality

Its working fine

Please update with your feedback.

If this post helps you, Please verify this answer and earn Thank you Badge for yourself (Follow this link for more details https://community.dynamics.com/braggerbadges/badge/48.aspx)

Regards, NITESH RANAJN (PMP) | Dynamics AX Consultant

• Andre/Anton

If I understand your suggested workaround: you need to create both positive and a negative service item lines on the sale order, each at, for example, 30% of the total. You would invoice the positive service item by itself to create the advance invoice; then invoice the negative service item with the remainder of the sales order lines. I would also make sure the service item "revenue" (credit for the advance, debit for the deduction) posts to a customer deposit (liability) account to monitor balances. Not a bad workaround but a parallel process to the AP prepayment process would be better. Or use milestone billings in projects.

• Hi Nitish,

I am working on a requirement to customize the Prepayment for a sales order before invoicing in Axapta 4.0 . I read that you have utilized the standard vendor/PO prepayment could you please elaborate on this or any link/blog where i can find step -by -step approach.

Thanks,

Sujatha R.

• I followed the design of Purchase order Pre-Payment functionality in AX 2012

I tried to understand the standard Purchase Order process and logic and encorporated in Sales Order

Same as Purchase order

I created the table/form so that we can have entries for advance payment against a Sales Order

One option to post the Advance Payment invoice (as per logic this use to be a invoice which is against Sales Order but it was not updating any inventory)

Then modified the Logic of Sales Order invoice so that we can adjust the Advance payment with the Sales Invoice to be created (While sales Order invoicing process there was a option to select the advance payment invoice lines against the sales Order, once selected that Prepyment invoice was added to the Sales invoice with negative amount so that settlement can happen)

At Customer level also a functionality is devloped which will settle already created Advance Payment invoice and Sales Invoice

I am not sure if we have any Advance payment functionality in AX 4.0

Please let me know if you need any technical support.

you can contact me at following email niteshranjan007@yahoo.com

Let me know you are from which part of the world.

If this post helps you, Please verify this answer and earn Thank you Badge for yourself (Follow this link for more details https://community.dynamics.com/braggerbadges/badge/48.aspx)

• Hi Nitesh, Sujatha,

A little note:

The Prepayment feature for purchase orders was added in AX2012 and does not exist in AX 4.0. There are many differences between AX4 and AX 2012 so taking AX 2012 as example for AX4 development would also give some challenges.

The prepayment in AX2012 assumes creating an invoice for the prepayment. Is your requirement the same, or are you only interested in marking the order as paid, before delivery?  

kind regards,

• Thanks Andre, for point this out, Appreciated

• Hi André,

I new to AX and my requirement is to Post a prepayment for a sales order before posting picking list.

Before the prepayment is posted i have to mark the Inventory against the sales order when the Physical invetory is reserved.

After that prepayment has to be reserved otherwise a new sales order has to be created with the items which are not reserved.

Once the prepayment is don then the order should be released for picking items.

During invoicing the above posted prepayment should be applied to the total invoice.

I am totally confused and lost with the above requirement could you please kindly suggest what i should do to approach this customization.

Thanks,

Sujatha

• Hi Sujatha,

Reservation can be setup manually or automatically. If automatically, then at entering the order AX already knows what is reserved or not. Details are stored in the inventory transactions related to the sales lines.

With this information it is possible to create a new sales order with lines which are not (fully) reserved. Then reduce the remaining quantity fields of the original order to meet the reserved quantities or adjust the original sales quantities and remove lines not reserved. By adjusting the remaining quantity you can keep track of original quantties and your performance.

Then the question is if the pre-payment should result in an invoice and outstanding balance at the customer. If not it makes life much more easy.

If not "invoice" then you can have the pre-payment table to keep track of payments to receive and check whether customers paid these amounts. Then you can "release" the order for picking.

If invoicing is required, you have to create this pre-payment and create an invoice. Probably you can then create a new order line with a service item to handle the pre-payment amount. In AX2012 you can also invoice categories which is used for the pre-payment, but that is not possible in  AX4. So a service item would be the best option. Also create a negative line for the pre-payment when the amount has been received.

Then you can pick and invoice the items inclusing the negative service item which will substract the amount from the total invoice.

Question: Is the prepayment 100% of the goods or another amount.percentage? That does not make really a difference, but you can have 0 invoices as a result. The customer transactions with amount 0 were not automatically settled in some older versions of AX.

kind regards,