Question Status

Suggested Answer
Manmohan Mehta asked a question on 18 Aug 2014 8:05 AM

Hi, 

I was installing AX 2012 R3 and was done successfully. After that i need to run initialization checklist under which full compile was required so to save my time i ran axbuild which compile it pretty soon but in compilation checklist it doesn't seem to be completed. I though mark it as complete but later on .net compile i have got numbers of error. 

Any suggestion what went wrong? Thanks in advance.

Suggested Answer
André Arnaud de Calavon responded on 18 Aug 2014 8:22 AM

Hi Manmohan,

When you run the compilation using AXbuild, you can find a log file in the server directory. Please verify if this contains any errors. Then you can focus to solve these.

Otherwise, probably you have to do the compilation from the client itself. Some things are/were not 100% correct in the AXbuild compilation.

When you use AXbuild, you have to manually tick the completed flag on the checklist.

When the x++ compilation runs without errors, you can continue with the CIL compilation.

kind regards,

André Arnaud de Calavon  |  Microsoft Dynamics AX Solution architect  |  My blog  |  My company

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my company, Microsoft, both its employees, or other MVPs.

Suggested Answer
Rob Hensley responded on 18 Aug 2014 10:08 AM

I have seen where the first compile (done through the checklist) needs to be done in the client and not through AXBuild.  Try to do the compile in the client and see if you're able to proceed.

Thanks,

Rob Hensley
Blue Horseshoe Solutions, Inc.
www.bhsolutions.com

Manmohan Mehta responded on 18 Aug 2014 12:25 PM

I have seen that log but didnt found any error i.e y i proceeded wiith CIL compile and manually tick that compile option in checklist.

I have done the same but my question is, what is the use coz i have done the same thing twice and each time i have to run the same with client. Can anyone tell me when to use this axbuilt??

André Arnaud de Calavon responded on 18 Aug 2014 2:48 PM

Hi Manmohan,

I used the axbuild tool also for a new (test) confguration. Then I indeed had to manually tick the completed flag on the checklist. Only when there were customizations with conflicting objects, I got some errors in the log.

The axbuild can be used to speed up the compilation time. In some cases it has a slightly different compile approach. Some persons prefer a full x++ compilation over this axbuild to be sure the build for delivery will be free of errors.

kind regards,

André Arnaud de Calavon  |  Microsoft Dynamics AX Solution architect  |  My blog  |  My company

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my company, Microsoft, both its employees, or other MVPs.

Rob Hensley responded on 18 Aug 2014 8:35 PM

I only do a full compile from the client during the checklist.  Every compile after that I use AXBuild.

Thanks,

Rob Hensley
www.bhsolutions.com

Suggested Answer
Nitesh Ranjan responded on 18 Aug 2014 11:44 PM

I have faced the same scenario as Rob has experienced

I suggest we should not do axBuild compile after installation, it should be using initialization checklist option only.

Please verify and update us with your findings

Please update with your feedback.

Regards, NITESH RANAJN (PMP) | Dynamics AX Consultant

If this post helps you, Please verify this answer and earn Thank you Badge for yourself (Follow this link for more details https://community.dynamics.com/braggerbadges/badge/48.aspx)

André Arnaud de Calavon responded on 19 Aug 2014 12:41 AM

There are two options to compile. It should both work as stated in this post: technet.microsoft.com/.../dd309589.aspx

If you encounter problems, please check if all prerequisites are met. If you still encounter problems, it is possible to create a support incident.

If you prefer to use the old compilation which could hours and hours, it is also possible. As stated in my previous reply some people (I'm aware of partners and ISV's) do a AX client based compilation because they rely that this always works. I cannot disagree.

kind regards,

Manmohan Mehta responded on 20 Aug 2014 1:35 AM

I actually did the axbuild compile on production environment ( not just after installation ) with full confidence as per the suggested document by microsoft but later faced too many unknown errors which got automatically resolved after compiling through ax client.

I am not getting confidence with axbuild yet however will ask if its working the same as ax client does for others?

Suggested Answer
André Arnaud de Calavon responded on 18 Aug 2014 8:22 AM

Hi Manmohan,

When you run the compilation using AXbuild, you can find a log file in the server directory. Please verify if this contains any errors. Then you can focus to solve these.

Otherwise, probably you have to do the compilation from the client itself. Some things are/were not 100% correct in the AXbuild compilation.

When you use AXbuild, you have to manually tick the completed flag on the checklist.

When the x++ compilation runs without errors, you can continue with the CIL compilation.

kind regards,

Suggested Answer
Rob Hensley responded on 18 Aug 2014 10:08 AM

I have seen where the first compile (done through the checklist) needs to be done in the client and not through AXBuild.  Try to do the compile in the client and see if you're able to proceed.

Thanks,

Rob Hensley
www.bhsolutions.com

Suggested Answer
Nitesh Ranjan responded on 18 Aug 2014 11:44 PM

I have faced the same scenario as Rob has experienced

I suggest we should not do axBuild compile after installation, it should be using initialization checklist option only.

Please verify and update us with your findings

Please update with your feedback.

Regards, NITESH RANAJN (PMP) | Dynamics AX Consultant

If this post helps you, Please verify this answer and earn Thank you Badge for yourself (Follow this link for more details https://community.dynamics.com/braggerbadges/badge/48.aspx)