SBX - Forum Post Title

Migration from AX 2012 R3 TO D365 !

Microsoft Dynamics AX Forum

vinilkumar asked a question on 14 Jun 2019 3:47 AM
My Badges

Question Status

Verified

Hi Team,

Good Evening to all, I have requirement on Migration from AX 2012 R3 to D365.

Currently we have HR Payroll, It's having models & Layers.

As per my understanding, have to move in 2 steps,

data migrate & code migrate!

Is there any tool/alternately to migrate?
Base line DB Using for migration?
how to do code migrate/data migrate?

If you have any reference docs, please provide & please help me out,
how to do migrate.

Your comment is so valuble!

Thanks,
Vinay.

Suggested Answer

Hi vinilkumar,

Upgrade from 2012 to D365 is well documented on docs docs.microsoft.com/.../upgrade-overview-2012 Please go through docs available and then ask specific questions.

vinilkumar responded on 14 Jun 2019 11:46 PM
My Badges

Thanks for giving inputs,  We are going to start the migration from AX 2012 R3 to D365.

I'm having few concerns,

Now, We have Ax 2012 R3 Environment. But, how to communicate to D365 ?  means AX 2012 R3  ->  D365 (Any Like LCS we are using)?

How to start at first step?

while moving from LCS, is it move XML files?

Note: I heard about LCS ( I need to sign & get the id.... how to do that)

Please give me the valuable suggestions.

Thanks,

vinay.

Verified Answer

The process starts from creating project in  LCS  and Azure dev ops and connecting them. How to get access and create project for D365 for finance and operations in LCS is well defined on the link shared above and link below .

docs.microsoft.com/.../support-experience

High level steps  for code  upgrade  once you connect projects from LCS and  Azure dev ops are

- You are going to upload model store from AX 2012 to LCS to get the estimates

- Once you get estimates , run actual code upgrade service from LCS , which s going to check in all your code as Overlayed code. All code is going to be in XML artifacts.

- You are going to deploy VM's for developers and map their VM's to branch created by code upgrade service in Azure dev ops.

- You are going to  remove all over layered code  and refactor it using extensions .  More information about extensions  is present on extensibility page

Refer my  below blog Post as well

us.hitachi-solutions.com/.../upgrade-dynamics-ax-code-dynamics-365-operations

us.hitachi-solutions.com/.../plan-upgrade-dynamics-ax-code-dynamics-365-operations

vinilkumar responded on 15 Jun 2019 2:39 AM
My Badges

Thanks Sukrut for Quick Reply, Every think is fine.  Here, we have AX 2012 R3 & D365 both environments. is it possible, can we import/export through models by using shell scripting From Ax 2012 R3 to D365 !

Is it possible through models ? In-case possible can you please provide commands for that !

Thanks,

vinaykumar.

Suggested Answer

No you can't do that. The model files of ax2012 are not compatible with D365FO model files. You need to use the code upgrade tool in LCS. It will upgrade the whole modelstore.

vinilkumar responded on 17 Jun 2019 12:22 AM
My Badges

Hi Team,

I have few concerns, we are having lot of models but, we need to upgrade only ISV layer models only,

In this case, Are we remove the remaining models?

For upgrade we don't have code upgrade option & please see the below doc,

which tool, we are using code upgrade?

please give me the suggestions,

Thanks,

vinaykumar.

Suggested Answer

Why you want to Upgrade ISV code ? You should ask ISV to provide you deployable package for the version you are upgrading to. For code upgrade , you are going to use Visual studio ,after LCS finishes migration and check ins code in Azure dev ops branch.

vinilkumar responded on 17 Jun 2019 1:58 AM
My Badges

Hi Team,

For Code Migration, I'm using VSTS(Free tool).  Here need to create a project, further code migration.

Am I Correct?

Suggested Answer

You need to 

1. Create a D365FO project in LCS

2. Create a ADO (formerly known as VSTS) project

3. Link your ADO project to your LCS project

4. Run code upgrade tool in LCS (you will upload your AX2012 modelstore, and the tool will migrate the code to D365FO format and check in to ADO)

5. Do the actual manual code migration work such as refactoring your overlayerings to extensions. This you do with Visual Studio in a D365FO dev machine

vinilkumar responded on 17 Jun 2019 6:47 AM
My Badges

Thank you Nikolaos/Sukrut/Team, I have created

D365FO project in LCS.

Create a ADO (formerly known as VSTS) project.

But, I'm not seen migrate/solution/etc.. it's like,

I'm not able to find the Link for ADO project to LCS project.

So, how to do code migrate with out communication. 

Please help me on this.

Thanks,

vinaykumar.

Suggested Answer

You need to create a project of type "Migrate, create solutions and learn". Just click the "+" sign in LCS front page. In order to create such project type, you need to have D365FO licenses - either actual licenses or Customer / Partner trial licenses.

Check this link for information on how to sign up for customer or partner trial: docs.microsoft.com/.../sign-up-preview-subscription

vinilkumar responded on 18 Jun 2019 6:45 AM
My Badges

Hello Team,

Thanks for given Valuable inputs. Now, I'm stuck in upload of  Modelstore please see the below snap,

It is some thing showing as "pending process  Error/Warning", That means process pending process not yet started or throwing an error.

If it is error, please give me the valuable inputs.

Thanks,

Vinaykumar.

Verified Answer

It's pending, 0% complete. You need to wait until it's 100% complete.

Verified Answer

The process starts from creating project in  LCS  and Azure dev ops and connecting them. How to get access and create project for D365 for finance and operations in LCS is well defined on the link shared above and link below .

docs.microsoft.com/.../support-experience

High level steps  for code  upgrade  once you connect projects from LCS and  Azure dev ops are

- You are going to upload model store from AX 2012 to LCS to get the estimates

- Once you get estimates , run actual code upgrade service from LCS , which s going to check in all your code as Overlayed code. All code is going to be in XML artifacts.

- You are going to deploy VM's for developers and map their VM's to branch created by code upgrade service in Azure dev ops.

- You are going to  remove all over layered code  and refactor it using extensions .  More information about extensions  is present on extensibility page

Refer my  below blog Post as well

us.hitachi-solutions.com/.../upgrade-dynamics-ax-code-dynamics-365-operations

us.hitachi-solutions.com/.../plan-upgrade-dynamics-ax-code-dynamics-365-operations

Verified Answer

It's pending, 0% complete. You need to wait until it's 100% complete.

Suggested Answer

Hi vinilkumar,

Upgrade from 2012 to D365 is well documented on docs docs.microsoft.com/.../upgrade-overview-2012 Please go through docs available and then ask specific questions.

Suggested Answer

No you can't do that. The model files of ax2012 are not compatible with D365FO model files. You need to use the code upgrade tool in LCS. It will upgrade the whole modelstore.

Suggested Answer

Why you want to Upgrade ISV code ? You should ask ISV to provide you deployable package for the version you are upgrading to. For code upgrade , you are going to use Visual studio ,after LCS finishes migration and check ins code in Azure dev ops branch.

Suggested Answer

You need to 

1. Create a D365FO project in LCS

2. Create a ADO (formerly known as VSTS) project

3. Link your ADO project to your LCS project

4. Run code upgrade tool in LCS (you will upload your AX2012 modelstore, and the tool will migrate the code to D365FO format and check in to ADO)

5. Do the actual manual code migration work such as refactoring your overlayerings to extensions. This you do with Visual Studio in a D365FO dev machine

Suggested Answer

You need to create a project of type "Migrate, create solutions and learn". Just click the "+" sign in LCS front page. In order to create such project type, you need to have D365FO licenses - either actual licenses or Customer / Partner trial licenses.

Check this link for information on how to sign up for customer or partner trial: docs.microsoft.com/.../sign-up-preview-subscription

Suggested Answer

You can connect one dev environment to one ADO branch at a time (currently, MS is working to improve this later). So most likely you would want to use a separate environment for this. But it's up to you. You just can't work simultaneously with the two branches. You have to always change workspace mapping, get latest, build, synchronize the database when you connect to another branch from VS.

SBX - Two Col Forum

SBX - Migrated JS