Question Status

Verified
tonyb asked a question on 30 Sep 2014 10:19 AM

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and to Dynamics AX 2012 report development, and have a question around the structure of the objects created for reporting, and the best practices for organizing them.

Visual Studio Solution

I'm trying to understand the purpose of the Solution.  I get that it's a container that holds projects, and that you can save it to disk.  It doesn't appear you ever deploy it to the AOT or SSRS or anything like that.

- Do you create 1 solution per project?  Or group multiple projects into a single solution?  Or is the solution only used for the purposes of holding the project as you develop it prior to deploying to AOT, and it doesn't really matter?

- Should we all save all of the solutions we build to disk?  Does it even matter, since it seems that once we deploy a project to the AOT, it can always be re-added to a new solution later?  Is the solution transient?

Project

- Should each project only contain 1 report?  Or should we group similar reports (for example, sales reports) into a single project?

- Should each report only contain 1 design?  Or should we have multiple designs in a single report if they're just different ways of displaying data from the same data set?

I appreciate any guidance you experts can provide.

Thanks!

Tony

Verified Answer
Martin Dráb responded on 30 Sep 2014 10:50 AM

None of these concepts is specific to AX and you can find more information in other places. Projects and solutions are used by Visual Studio. Reports and designs are defined by SSRS.

I'll start from the bottom.

Using more designs for a single report is common. If you just want to display the same data in a different way, you can simply create an additional design (and choose the design statically or according to some decision logic). The most common way is using country-specific designs.

The usual approach is placing only one main report to a project, although you may have reasons to do it differently. An important exception is about subreports - you need them in the same project.

Solutions are really just an organization unit. You may group reports and their business logic projects or related reports to a solution and safe it to AOT. Nevertheless you don't have to care about solutions if you don't need them. Visual Studio still creates a solution as soon as you open a project, but you don't have to save it to AX.

Martin "Goshoom" Dráb | Freelancer | Goshoom.NET Dev Blog

Verified Answer
Martin Dráb responded on 30 Sep 2014 10:50 AM

None of these concepts is specific to AX and you can find more information in other places. Projects and solutions are used by Visual Studio. Reports and designs are defined by SSRS.

I'll start from the bottom.

Using more designs for a single report is common. If you just want to display the same data in a different way, you can simply create an additional design (and choose the design statically or according to some decision logic). The most common way is using country-specific designs.

The usual approach is placing only one main report to a project, although you may have reasons to do it differently. An important exception is about subreports - you need them in the same project.

Solutions are really just an organization unit. You may group reports and their business logic projects or related reports to a solution and safe it to AOT. Nevertheless you don't have to care about solutions if you don't need them. Visual Studio still creates a solution as soon as you open a project, but you don't have to save it to AX.

Martin "Goshoom" Dráb | Freelancer | Goshoom.NET Dev Blog