SBX - Search With Button

SBX - Forum Post Title

Model store export/import vs model db backup/restore

Microsoft Dynamics AX Forum

Alex Kaganov asked a question on 23 Jan 2015 5:28 PM
My Badges

Question Status

Verified

Just curious - is there any advantage in using AXUtil or PS commands to export/import model store vs simply back up/restore the model database?

Bilal Issa responded on 23 Jan 2015 6:37 PM
My Badges

Hi ,

I think exporting the model store was used more in AX 2012 RTM when the database included code and data, but since R2 that need is not necessary anymore.

Regards,

Bilal

Joris de Gruyter responded on 23 Jan 2015 6:46 PM
My Badges
Verified Answer

Importing a model store will check for ID conflicts between existing elements and elements being imported. Of course, it takes quite a bit longer to export and import compared to a backup/restore.

With a model store import you can also import it into a separate schema while the AOS is running. When you're ready, stop the AOS, flip the schema, start the AOS back up. You can also keep the old schema as a backup and flip it back as well. It's a nice feature, but restore and backing up the model store DB gives you the same functionality and typically doesn't take that much longer. The advantage though is that those things can be scripted so you don't need to babysit anything per se, you only need to attend the AOS stop/start and schema flip. Again, time-wise it's not a big benefit necessarily.

I think the ID conflict checking is very valuable, especially in situations where model stores aren't controlled very tightly.

Zachary James responded on 23 Jan 2015 7:45 PM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

I use the import export method because there are sometime scripts that must be ran in the data upgrade cockpit. We use this to create task that can have a wide variety of updates that a synchronization will not do. I recommend going through the import process, especially since you can install to a temp schema..

Joris de Gruyter responded on 23 Jan 2015 6:46 PM
My Badges
Verified Answer

Importing a model store will check for ID conflicts between existing elements and elements being imported. Of course, it takes quite a bit longer to export and import compared to a backup/restore.

With a model store import you can also import it into a separate schema while the AOS is running. When you're ready, stop the AOS, flip the schema, start the AOS back up. You can also keep the old schema as a backup and flip it back as well. It's a nice feature, but restore and backing up the model store DB gives you the same functionality and typically doesn't take that much longer. The advantage though is that those things can be scripted so you don't need to babysit anything per se, you only need to attend the AOS stop/start and schema flip. Again, time-wise it's not a big benefit necessarily.

I think the ID conflict checking is very valuable, especially in situations where model stores aren't controlled very tightly.

Zachary James responded on 23 Jan 2015 7:45 PM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

I use the import export method because there are sometime scripts that must be ran in the data upgrade cockpit. We use this to create task that can have a wide variety of updates that a synchronization will not do. I recommend going through the import process, especially since you can install to a temp schema..

SBX - Two Col Forum

SBX - Migrated JS