Dynamics AX 2012 R2 Enterprise Search with SharePoint Foundation 2013 - Unable to log on to Microsoft Dynamics AX...

Question Status

Suggested Answer
Donatas Stonys asked a question on 30 Jan 2015 3:08 AM

Good morning,

I've been trying to solve this problem for the last few days. I got Enterprise Search (ES) working once, after I re-creating whole Search Service Application, but then it stopped working properly for some reason. If anyone is interested, all my experiences of getting AX 2012 to work with SharePoint Foundation 2013 are described here.

Ok, back to problem. What I have now is partially working search. By partially I mean, that if I type some general search term, such as 'products' results are being returned to me. However, when I try to use some more specific term, such as customer name or product code, it gives me Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Query.InternalQueryErrorException error. After checking ULS report I stumbled upon this line:

01/30/2015 08:40:41.48 NodeRunnerQuery1-241c58d6-eafb- (0x0E20) 0x1108 Search Query Processing ak8rm Unexpected Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Query.Ims.Security.SecurityTrimmerPostProducer : Post-Trimmer failed. Message: The shim execution failed unexpectedly - Exception occurred on the metadata service on client or server. See exception details below:  >Unable to log on to Microsoft Dynamics AX... Trimmer: 601 c9c2e49c-87fa-80ce-41b7-5e85df196de8

I run out of ideas now, because it seems that I've tried almost everything what has been suggested on different forums to resolve similar issues. Perhaps someone could share their list of 'should be dones', which I could follow and see if I missed something here?

Thank you!

Francisco Silva responded on 30 Jan 2015 4:23 AM

Hello Donatas!

What is the application pool service account you are using for the Serach Service application pool?

Donatas Stonys responded on 30 Jan 2015 4:38 AM

Hello Francisco,

Let's call the account DOMAIN\bcaccount (.NET Business Connector account with Search Crawler, BusinessConnector and System User roles assigned, although log on Windows option is disabled for this account), and so:

• Default content access account in Search Service Application: Search Administration - DOMAIN\bcaccount
  • IIS Application Pool (Shared with Enterprise Portal) - AX Enterprise Portal, v4.0, Integrated, DOMAIN\bcaccount 
  • SharePoint Authentication Providers: Claims Based Authentication
  • Search Server URL in AX Client also works. http://axsearch/sites/DynamicsAxClientSearch/_vti_bin/search.asmx

Normally I only have ASP.NET Impersonation and Windows Authentication enabled in IIS for this app, but even Anonymous Authentication and Forms Authentication when enabled doesn't make any difference.

Hope this helps.

Thank you!

Francisco Silva responded on 30 Jan 2015 6:21 AM

The following link was usefull for me some time ago, maybe it can help you to:

msdn.microsoft.com/.../gg731778(v=ax.60)

Does this account have the "logon as a service" right?

Donatas Stonys responded on 30 Jan 2015 7:59 AM

Thank you, Francisco. I updated servers' (I'm testing two AX installations) by adding DOMAIN\bcaccount to Logon as a service. Haven't restarted anything yet, in case it's needed, but as for now - no changes, still same error. Perhaps it's worth mentioning that SharePoint/Enterprise Portal/Enterprise Search are running on different machines from the main AX installations.

Speaking about the link you suggested, I believe I followed it at least couple times.

Donatas responded on 4 Feb 2015 5:46 AM

The problem only appears when Microsoft Dynamics AX content source becomes crawled. When only Local SharePoint sites and Microsoft Dynamics AX Metadata  content sources the search works as expected, but I said - only for general terms, such as products, customers, etc. 

Crawling process doesn't return any errors and I can see Searchable items (index) field filling up.

I see "... SharePoint Server Search ... Evaluation failed in operator PostProcessor Executor of type PostProcessor Executor ..." error in ULS logs too.

What else can I try?

Thank you!

Suggested Answer
Luca Pellegrini responded on 6 Mar 2015 3:44 AM

Hi Donatas,

is the user that you are using to install the ES also an AX user?

Best regards,

Luca

Donatas responded on 6 Mar 2015 3:55 AM

Hello Luca,

Yes, it is. In fact the user is domain admin too.

You know what, in the end I gave up on SharePoint 2013 not just because of ES not working properly, but also because of it slowing down whole EP.

SharePoint 2010 works pretty much out of the box, and as far as EP is my concern - I don't see a real advantage of using 2013 instead of 2010. Am I right?

Kind regards,

Donatas

Luca Pellegrini responded on 6 Mar 2015 4:03 AM

Hello Donatas,

you're right indeed.

The Dynamics AX EP in reality is using Sharepoint as a repository more than using the whole capabilities.

If you are interested you can find some differences here:

technet.microsoft.com/.../ff607742.aspx

BR,

Luca Pellegrini

Suggested Answer
Luca Pellegrini responded on 6 Mar 2015 3:44 AM

Hi Donatas,

is the user that you are using to install the ES also an AX user?

Best regards,

Luca