Question Status

Suggested Answer
Iman AOUNE asked a question on 18 Feb 2015 4:03 AM

Hi all, i have an issue when reporting as finished a production order. My item is set up with automatic serial number tracking number, when i report as finished a Production Order with 100 unit for example, i have to register each unit of 1 as a line with a unique serial number.
How can i set up my process, so my 100 unit can be automatically selected and assigned to a serial number ?

Suggested Answer
Steven Weaver responded on 18 Feb 2015 4:41 AM

You need to setup a number group against the item and configure it to create these for the process (pretty sure it is possible at RAF but been a while since I looked)

Steve Weaver | Dynamics AX Solution Architect - UK | My Blog

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Iman AOUNE responded on 18 Feb 2015 5:46 AM

Hi steven, Thank you for your reactivity. Actually, i've set up in differents ways the number group to generate automaticcaly serial number. but i can not generate them in report as finished production order. is there mayba another setup somewhere ?

Suggested Answer
Steven Weaver responded on 18 Feb 2015 11:15 AM

Hi Iman

You will need to look at your number group as it does work. Check your tracking dimension is serial with the serial control tick box activated. Then in the number sequence below the highlighted fields as indicated. 

Posting RAF then generates a serial number per quantity

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Iman AOUNE responded on 18 Feb 2015 11:49 AM

Thank you again for your replay, this is exactly what i have set up, except that i need the "date" information in the serial number beside of the number sequence.

when i do the registration in RAF, i chack the box "auto create" then click on "create serial number", but the screen opened tell me te generate from 1 to 3 (for exemple) (while i have already set up an automatic SN with date then num sequence).

fgil12 responded on 18 Feb 2015 11:56 AM

Serial number is supposed to be created automatically once you post the RAF journal, doesn't it? Why are you marking the Auto-create box?

Iman AOUNE responded on 18 Feb 2015 12:02 PM

If do not proceed by registration screen, i have an errore when trying to post RAF journal (Stock dimension Serial number must be specified.)

ColbyGallagher responded on 18 Feb 2015 12:36 PM

If you don't want to register the serial numbers prior to posting the RAF, then just turn off the registration requirement flag on the Item Model Group.   

Suggested Answer
Steven Weaver responded on 18 Feb 2015 3:56 PM

You need to turn off registration for this group - the batch number is created at physical update which in this case is the posting of RAF - not the registration - if you want these auto-created your item model group must not insist on registration first as the system cannot then define them in the way you want.

Iman AOUNE responded on 19 Feb 2015 4:06 AM

Hi Colby, Steven,

This is how my item model group is set (PMP). Is this right ? i've never check the registration Box, but still the RAF blocked !!

Steven Weaver responded on 19 Feb 2015 7:37 AM

So why are you going into the registration? Simply post the RAF journal and it will create the serial numbers as it posts the journal.

Why is RAF blocked? You have never shown us this message, just a query about creating serial numbers which it does :-)

Iman AOUNE responded on 19 Feb 2015 9:03 AM

This is the error message that i have when RAF my production order (quantity of 10), without registration:

Steven Weaver responded on 19 Feb 2015 9:43 AM

Check the serial number group you specified earlier is attached to the item. Once verified recreate the production order and then RAF to create the serial numbers. I have the same setup for the item model group and serial number group as you and as you can see I can generate serial numbers :-)

Héctor Cazot responded on 25 Feb 2015 9:19 AM

Hi Iman, I noticed that you are using in your Number group, the number sequence Proj_18. How is this number sequence configured? Verify that is not a manual number sequence, because as Steven says he has the same configuration as you, so you should have the same resaults, I think you need to verify this, or just try to do the same process again, with out selecting the number sequence in your number group, select the Lot Id. or Reference (just for testing purposes) and then you know if this is causing the problem. Good luck.

Suggested Answer
Steven Weaver responded on 18 Feb 2015 4:41 AM

You need to setup a number group against the item and configure it to create these for the process (pretty sure it is possible at RAF but been a while since I looked)

Suggested Answer
Steven Weaver responded on 18 Feb 2015 11:15 AM

Hi Iman

You will need to look at your number group as it does work. Check your tracking dimension is serial with the serial control tick box activated. Then in the number sequence below the highlighted fields as indicated. 

Posting RAF then generates a serial number per quantity

Suggested Answer
Steven Weaver responded on 18 Feb 2015 3:56 PM

You need to turn off registration for this group - the batch number is created at physical update which in this case is the posting of RAF - not the registration - if you want these auto-created your item model group must not insist on registration first as the system cannot then define them in the way you want.