Question Status

Suggested Answer
JDub0927 asked a question on 6 Mar 2015 12:31 PM

I am using MS DAX 2009 5.0.15 and need better understanding of the relationship of these three in order to set up work centers and routes for items with formulas and then do cost rollups of items (individually and by groups) to include labor and overhead. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Suggested Answer
Steven Weaver responded on 7 Mar 2015 2:46 AM

Your "route" is the path a product takes through the manufacturing process. This could be "Saw", "Machine", "Weld" and "Paint" for example. Each of these "steps" is an "Operation" and will have time associated with it and a "Work Centre" which is where the work is undertaken.

This means a portion of the route (end to end to convert raw material into a finished product) is an operation, so you "Weld" and this operation is performed in a particular place (your work centre) and will have associated timings and costs.

Steve Weaver | Dynamics AX Solution Architect - UK | My Blog

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Suggested Answer
Nitesh Ranjan responded on 7 Mar 2015 3:34 AM

In production process Route is sequence of Operation and Work Centres are locations where operations will be carried out.

All there are required to be setup of better accounting of Production Process

WIP (Work In Progress) is calculated with the help of these setups

Please verify and update if you need more details

Please update with your feedback.

Regards, NITESH RANAJN (PMP) | Dynamics AX Consultant

If this post helps you, Please verify this answer and earn Thank you Badge for yourself (Follow this link for more details https://community.dynamics.com/braggerbadges/badge/48.aspx)

Suggested Answer
Steven Weaver responded on 7 Mar 2015 2:46 AM

Your "route" is the path a product takes through the manufacturing process. This could be "Saw", "Machine", "Weld" and "Paint" for example. Each of these "steps" is an "Operation" and will have time associated with it and a "Work Centre" which is where the work is undertaken.

This means a portion of the route (end to end to convert raw material into a finished product) is an operation, so you "Weld" and this operation is performed in a particular place (your work centre) and will have associated timings and costs.

Steve Weaver | Dynamics AX Solution Architect - UK | My Blog

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Suggested Answer
Nitesh Ranjan responded on 7 Mar 2015 3:34 AM

In production process Route is sequence of Operation and Work Centres are locations where operations will be carried out.

All there are required to be setup of better accounting of Production Process

WIP (Work In Progress) is calculated with the help of these setups

Please verify and update if you need more details

Please update with your feedback.

Regards, NITESH RANAJN (PMP) | Dynamics AX Consultant

If this post helps you, Please verify this answer and earn Thank you Badge for yourself (Follow this link for more details https://community.dynamics.com/braggerbadges/badge/48.aspx)