Register/Use .Net class library having async methods (.net framework 4.5) in AX x++

Question Status

Verified
AKumar asked a question on 1 Jul 2016 6:40 AM

Hi All,

I've created a .Net class library which uses some external API which required .Net framework 4.5 and async/await support. When I am trying to register this dll in AX then I am getting error "The selected file is not a valid .NET assembly, therefore the reference cannot be added."

Any idea how can I use this dll in AX.

Thanks in advance

Arun.

Suggested Answer
Martin Dráb responded on 1 Jul 2016 9:24 AM

AX 2009 uses .NET Framework 3.5, as far as I remember.

AKumar responded on 4 Jul 2016 2:55 AM

Is there any workaround or any way to use c# library built in framework 4.0 in AX 2009?

Martin Dráb responded on 4 Jul 2016 3:19 AM

Yes, you can create a separate .NET 4 process using the library and let it communicate with AX.

AKumar responded on 4 Jul 2016 3:37 AM

How can we do that? Do you have any samples for that?

Verified Answer
Martin Dráb responded on 4 Jul 2016 3:48 AM

There are a many ways how to develop a program and how to implement interprocess communication. Forget about code samples in the moment; you have to analyze and design the solution before you can start thinking about code.

For example, you may want to build a Windows service, or a normal application started by a user, or by AX, or you can integrate the library to some existing system. You can communicate via web services, Business Connector, a queue, files or something else...

AKumar responded on 4 Jul 2016 4:12 AM

Ok. Got it.

Thanks for your help.

Verified Answer
Martin Dráb responded on 4 Jul 2016 3:48 AM

There are a many ways how to develop a program and how to implement interprocess communication. Forget about code samples in the moment; you have to analyze and design the solution before you can start thinking about code.

For example, you may want to build a Windows service, or a normal application started by a user, or by AX, or you can integrate the library to some existing system. You can communicate via web services, Business Connector, a queue, files or something else...

Suggested Answer
Martin Dráb responded on 1 Jul 2016 9:24 AM

AX 2009 uses .NET Framework 3.5, as far as I remember.