I'm using the Dynamics Connector to integrate Dynamics CRM Online with AX 2012. I can open maps, run them and deactivate/activate them, except for the any map that links to the Products entity in CRM. For example, if I try to open the OOTB map "Item Service to Product", the Connector service will freeze and crash. As soon as this happens, the Connector client can't communicate with the service (obviously) and crashes.
I've turned on verbose logging for the Connector but don't see anything helpful in the logs except that the client cannot communicate with the service. I've also checked the server Event log but the only thing there is a cryptic "Application Error" entry that says that it crashed.
I've tried a full uninstall of the Connector, I've tried running through the adapter configuration for both CRM and AX, but nothing seems to help.
Bump with additional info (Event Log entry). Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?
Faulting application name: ConnectorServiceHost.exe, version: 3.4.304.1, time stamp: 0x5480b564
Faulting module name: clr.dll, version: 4.6.1087.0, time stamp: 0x583e5e56
Exception code: 0xc00000fd
Fault offset: 0x0000000000001237
Faulting process id: 0x17ec
Faulting application start time: 0x01d26b67974ac37a
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics\Microsoft Dynamics Adapter\ConnectorServiceHost.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\clr.dll
Report Id: 96c45360-d8e4-11e6-80fa-005056955fa1
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
I ended up opening a ticket with Microsoft Support to resolve this issue since I didn't get any responses on any AX or CRM forum. In the end the engineer helped to identify the cause but couldn't help resolve the problem.
We have a self-referencing relationship (1:N) on our Product entity in CRM. Apparently, this type of customization in CRM is not supported by the Connector for Dynamics. So, instead of gracefully throwing an exception or error message, the Connector would crash with a stack-overflow error.
Support suggested trying to remove the relationship but due to circumstances beyond my control and CRM dependencies, I'm unable to fully remove it. Support also conveyed that it was unlikely to get an update to the Connector because it's been deprecated - even though a self-referencing relationship in CRM is a fully supported customization.
There is no documentation for this limitation in the Connector - either as a known issue or guidance in the configuration notes.
In the end, I found my own answer. After you configure the CRM adapter for the Connector, you can edit the XML files stored in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics\Microsoft Dynamics Adapter\Adapters\Microsoft.Dynamics.Integration.Adapters.Crm2011\ObjectConfig\(yourCRMOrg).
I was able to remove the line defining the relationship and the related field. The catch is that I must make this change for each CRM environment that I deploy the Connector to (we have three orgs: dev, test and prod). Also, If I ever alter the CRM adapter to add entities, I will have to remember to make this change.
Business Applications communities