Verified
TinTin asked a question on 30 Mar 2017 8:21 AM

Hi all,

Scenario:-

1. Develop a report in AX12 using Queries - Done

2. Enhanced it using SSRS/ Visual Studio - Done

3. Created a form and menu output item in the AX12 Dev environment - Done 

4. Migrated this to test for the validation -

When I met one of Senior Developer, advised me to create the security.

Questions.

1. What is the standard process/ best practice that I need to follow starting from report creating to production?

2. Where I could read more information about this?

3. Is there any process maps associated to this whole process??

Appreciate your time, Thanks a ton in advance!

Verified Answer
Vilmos Kintera responded on 30 Mar 2017 8:25 AM

Since your reports' business logic (if there is any) must be saved as a Visual Studio project back to the AOT, and the SSRS design is also in there along with the data provider and report controller classes, releasing it to Production would not be any different from any regular code release. It will all be part of the AXModelStore that you release from your Build/Staging environment.

The only exception is that you need to publish the report using the axutil cmdlets, or from the AOT with the Deploy option in the SSRS treenode to your Production SSRS instance. If there is any security involved, and you have edited an existing privilege/duty/role, it would become available for the users. If you've created a new one, after release you need to provide those security access rights for the users who need to be able to run it.

Verified Answer
André Arnaud de Calavon responded on 30 Mar 2017 4:56 PM

Hi Ryan,

When I read your question, it is not fully clear what you are asking. It the question related to creating a report and deployment to other environments? Or is it related to the missing security part? Or both?

If you are asking about the security, I can add some notes here. First of all you should start reading information related to the security architecture in AX 2012. There is quite a lot online documented, e.g.:

technet.microsoft.com/.../gg731787.aspx

msdn.microsoft.com/.../gg843756.aspx

The new created menu item should be included in a privilege. To avoid changing standard objects, you can create a new privilege and link the output menu item.

Depending if you used coding and/or display methods, you also have to add tables or other permissions on the permissions node of the SSRS report itself.

The privilege will be included in a (new) duty; then the duty will be included in one or more (new) roles.

TinTin responded on 31 Mar 2017 6:14 AM

Hi Vilmos, Thanks for your reply

However I am bit confuse with some new words to my dictionary. What is axutil cmdlets? Any documents that I could read?

Best,

TinTin responded on 31 Mar 2017 6:15 AM

Hi Andre,

Appreciate for your reply. However the questions were mainly aiming to the Standard process of creating reports in the UI in the AX 2012. I was thirst of knowledge about this process. I believe those two documents will top up the AX Security Knowledge.

Thanks,  

Verified Answer
Vilmos Kintera responded on 31 Mar 2017 8:41 AM

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd309703.aspx

See the part for powershell

TinTin responded on 6 Apr 2017 6:44 AM

Hi Vilmos, Great info. Thanks a ton!

Verified Answer
Vilmos Kintera responded on 30 Mar 2017 8:25 AM

Since your reports' business logic (if there is any) must be saved as a Visual Studio project back to the AOT, and the SSRS design is also in there along with the data provider and report controller classes, releasing it to Production would not be any different from any regular code release. It will all be part of the AXModelStore that you release from your Build/Staging environment.

The only exception is that you need to publish the report using the axutil cmdlets, or from the AOT with the Deploy option in the SSRS treenode to your Production SSRS instance. If there is any security involved, and you have edited an existing privilege/duty/role, it would become available for the users. If you've created a new one, after release you need to provide those security access rights for the users who need to be able to run it.

Verified Answer
André Arnaud de Calavon responded on 30 Mar 2017 4:56 PM

Hi Ryan,

When I read your question, it is not fully clear what you are asking. It the question related to creating a report and deployment to other environments? Or is it related to the missing security part? Or both?

If you are asking about the security, I can add some notes here. First of all you should start reading information related to the security architecture in AX 2012. There is quite a lot online documented, e.g.:

technet.microsoft.com/.../gg731787.aspx

msdn.microsoft.com/.../gg843756.aspx

The new created menu item should be included in a privilege. To avoid changing standard objects, you can create a new privilege and link the output menu item.

Depending if you used coding and/or display methods, you also have to add tables or other permissions on the permissions node of the SSRS report itself.

The privilege will be included in a (new) duty; then the duty will be included in one or more (new) roles.

Verified Answer
Vilmos Kintera responded on 31 Mar 2017 8:41 AM

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd309703.aspx

See the part for powershell