SBX - Forum Post Title

Post project expense category in item issue transactions

Microsoft Dynamics AX Forum

Mohammad Rasheed asked a question on 14 Jun 2018 3:42 AM
My Badges

Question Status

Suggested Answer

Dears,

I have a requirement that required allow having posting for expense category when post an item journal in project accounting module. 

Standard Ax is not allowing this. since Ax is allowing  post to item type category.

in order to solve this I have to duplicate all expense category to be used in item issue transaction. but this will create a big confusing for many reasons, like project budget and transactions reports like 

1) budget control is required for project category and on time for transactions only I can know this will be used as an expense or item.

2) Reports will show each category 2 figures   

I cannot user category groups since it has no effect on budget and also its already used for other purpose.

Having Ax 2012 R3. Project management and accounting module. 

Suggested Answer

Hi,

Why do you want to post an expense at the same time an item is posted in an item journal?

Does that result in a double cost amount?

Can you explain a bit more about this requirement?

Many thanks and best regards,

Ludwig

Daxer Persson responded on 16 Jun 2018 4:37 AM
My Badges

If you compare to job registration in Production control > Manufacturing execution, then when you register feedback on hours then there is available a picking list journal for the related job time registration. This type of modification making available the project expense journal (and automatic posting) from the item journal is more in line of how AX is working and will then not "confuse" other standard features like the budget control.

Mohammad Rasheed responded on 17 Jun 2018 3:47 AM
My Badges

Dear Ludwig, 

Thanks for your reply, 

we have fixed list for cost types "cost code" that is used for all projects. Project managers are building there budget based on this cost types and also when booking any cost to project, user should select one of cost types.   

When completing specific part of scope of work for specific job type, this can be done even by company itself or by assigning a subcontractor. when the job is completed by company resources "Manpower or Inventory Items" it will be required to book the expense in even through timesheet or item journal, and if it will be completed by subcontractor it will require posting only an expense through purchase order for procurement category.

it will be only one budget figure for cost type what ever it will be posted by item, hour, or expense journal.   

please note that budget control is required and restrict override. 

Suggested Answer

Hi,

Why do you want to post an expense at the same time an item is posted in an item journal?

Does that result in a double cost amount?

Can you explain a bit more about this requirement?

Many thanks and best regards,

Ludwig

SBX - Two Col Forum

SBX - Migrated JS