Microsoft Dynamics AX Forum

Ahmed Siliem asked a question on 10 Aug 2018 9:07 PM
My Badges

Question Status

Verified

Hi DAXers,

I'm new to X++

Thanks in advance for your support.

As shown in the picture below, I have created a new table includes 2 fields A & B used in a drop-down list in a master table form that includes other newly created 2 fields C & D. it is linked and drop-down list working properly. 

When I tried to modify C using the drop-down list that linked with the field A, I want to update field D by value from field B.

drop-down field population

Thanks again,

Martin Dráb responded on 10 Aug 2018 11:18 PM
Verified Answer

If you have the value of A (in C), is it sufficient to uniquely identify a record in the table with A and B? If so, you can simply find the record by A and read B. If it isn't, you need a different design.

Ahmed Siliem responded on 11 Aug 2018 6:24 AM
My Badges

Hi Martin,

Thank you very much for your quick answer.

As I told "I am new to X++"

So, would you mind explaining how to "is it sufficient to uniquely identify a record in the table with A and B? If so, you can simply find the record by A and read B." Please?

If you guided me in this with sample or code, I will be very thankful.

Martin Dráb responded on 12 Aug 2018 7:43 AM
Verified Answer

Sorry. :) All right, let's walk through it in a slower pace. I'll use a concrete example; it will be easier to talk about things like "vendor" than "the table containing fields A and B".

Let's say that you're filling a custom table, MyOrder, with some values from a standard table containing vendors: VendTable.

Each vendor has an ID unique in the given company (AccountNum field in VendTable). Because it's unique, you can use it to find the right vendor in VendTable and read values of any other field. Therefore if your first lookup is for a vendor ID, you have everything you need to find all other fields too.

Let's say you get an ID 'Vendor001' and you're interested in BankAccount field. You could write code like this:

VendTable vendTable = VendTable::find('Vendor001');
str bankAccount = vendTable.BankAccount;

Note that a common approach is putting code for copying values from another table to an initFrom* method:

public void initFromVendTable(VendTable _vendTable)
{
    this.BankAccount = _vendTable;
}

But you should realize another important thing: because you can get all fields from VendTable at any time, you don't necessarily have to duplicate them in your table. You should ask yourself whether you're interested in the current values (e.g. the bank account currently used by the vendor) or values that were in place when the order was created (e.g. if the order was created a year ago and the vendor has changed his bank account since then, you still need the old account).

If you want current values, you shouldn't duplicate them in your table. It would cause you troubles, because when a vendor changes its account, you would have to update it in all tables where you've duplicate it.

But if you want original values and/or you want allow users to change the value to something else (such as using a different bank account for one particular order), having separate fields in your table (or another related table) is the right approach.

Ahmed Siliem responded on 12 Aug 2018 9:28 AM
My Badges
Verified Answer

Hi Martin,

Thank you very much for your interested reply.

Now, here is what I did:

1- I have created a 'Find' method in the table 'WorkerAccountBankCodeTbl' to be able to retrieve the required field:

public static WorkerAccountBankCodeTbl find(BankCode _BankCode)
{
    WorkerAccountBankCodeTbl WABC;

select WABC
    where WABC.BankCode == _BankCode;
    return WABC;

}

This code is tested by next job, and the result was correct:
static void Job15(Args _args)
{
    ;
    WABC = WorkerAccountBankCodeTbl::find("SAMBSARIXXX");
    if ( WABC )
    {
        info(strFmt("%1, %2", WABC.BankCode, WABC.BankName));
    }
    else
        {
            info("Not available");
        }
}

2- I have created a 'Display' Method in table '' to just fix the matter of displaying the Bank Name:
display WorkerBankName BankName()
{
    return WorkerAccountBankCodeTbl::find(this.SwiftCode).BankName;

//HcmWorker::findByPersonnelNumber(this.EmplId).name();
}
the result was like that:

I want to use the WorkerAccountBankCodeTbl.BankName value to fill RSExtendedEmplTable.BankName based on the related Bankcode filed in both table.

Now, how to write the Modyfied() method code for RSExtendedEmplTable.BankCode to fill the RSExtendedEmplTable.BankName?

Martin Dráb responded on 12 Aug 2018 10:45 AM
Verified Answer

Are you sure that BankAccount is a unique key of WorkerAccountBankCodeTbl? It sounds very strange that worker would be a part of the unique key.

Don't create find() method for non-unique keys and when you decide to make one, make sure you follow the design pattern (you'll find thousand examples in the standard application).

Seriously, the key point here is understanding whether you have a unique key or not. Don't write a single line of code until you make sure that the designed logic makes sense.

Ahmed Siliem responded on 13 Aug 2018 2:45 AM
My Badges
Verified Answer

This table is used as a source data table to include the list of Banks. The field BankCode is a unique key (AllowDuplicates is set to 'No').

the index and field properties are as follow:

Martin Dráb responded on 13 Aug 2018 3:31 AM
Verified Answer

Okay, thank you for this explanation.

I wonder why you don't use the standard BackAccountTable for this purpose; you normally need much more information than just account number and bank name. But all right, it's your choice.

Then what I said applies - when you have BankCode, you can easily find the corresponding record in WorkerAccountBankCodeTbl and you can read BankName from there. But you should decide carefully whether you should copy the value to the other table or you should make a lookup when needed, as discussed in my previous reply.

Ahmed Siliem responded on 13 Aug 2018 1:46 PM
My Badges

Thanks for your advice.

I understand what you refer to.

Although I faced this case many times with other projects where I am unable to copy the value to another table after field modified (Same like this case), but, actually, there is no need to copy the value to another table if it is possible to retrieve it in the report same as the display method if possible. But I do not know how to do so!! ;(

So:

1- Would you mind helping me in writing the code of copying the value from WorkerAccountBankCodeTbl.BankName to RSExtendedEmplTable.BankName, please?

2- And how to retrieve such value in a report without the need to copy it??

The answer to these two questions will help me to finish more than one project that still open.

Thank again Martin for your kindness and professionality.

Martin Dráb responded on 13 Aug 2018 2:04 PM
Verified Answer

It's difficult for me to give you concrete code if I know so little about your solution, such as what kind of report you're building and how your tables are related. Can you fill these gaps, please?

Writing something like RSExtendedEmplTable.BankName = WorkerAccountBankCodeTbl.BankName is trivial, but it's not useful without any context. And I don't know yours.

Ahmed Siliem responded on 13 Aug 2018 3:01 PM
My Badges
Verified Answer

The relation type is 'Normal':

The report is a tabular SSRS report. I did not decide yet whether to design a class report or query report, I do prefer a query report but it depends on the way of retrieving the BankName field. if the value copied, I will use query since it is a very simple report.

Please, do not forget the first question (If possible) or lead me to an existed example.

Martin Dráb responded on 13 Aug 2018 3:24 PM
Verified Answer

Is it a the report based on a query or an RDP class?

If a query, simply join these two tables and use WorkerAccountBankCodeTbl.BankName in the report.

If it's based on an RDP class, you can use the same query to fetch the data, but then you'll assigned the value of WorkerAccountBankCodeTbl.BankName to a field on a temporary table.

Ahmed Siliem responded on 14 Aug 2018 3:05 PM
My Badges

Dear Martin,

Thank you very much for your valuable advice that leads me to the write approche.

I have already finished designing the report based on a query as advised. Some last frills are left and will be delivered.

I just wait for you to help me write a code for how to copy a value from a field in a table to another field in another table based on choosing a value from a drop-down list in a field in the first table, or lead me to an existed example.

(copying the value from WorkerAccountBankCodeTbl.BankName to RSExtendedEmplTable.BankName)

Martin Dráb responded on 14 Aug 2018 3:31 PM

Again, why don't you simply join the tables in the query you use for the report and don't take the value from WorkerAccountBankCodeTbl?

Please look above for the discussion when copying the field is necessary and when it would be a mistake and then make a decision based on business requirements. Ask you analysts / users if you're not sure what the requirements are.

Ahmed Siliem responded on 14 Aug 2018 4:12 PM
My Badges

Dear Martin,

This exactly what has already been done based on your advice as I mentioned above.

The tables already joined in the query I used for the report, and the report already produced properly and getting the required data. Thank you.

But as I told before I am facing the same issue in other not completed projects because of this issue. So, I am asking for a solution for another case that requires to have the value in the table in order to perform some other tasks such as calculation and lookup, and it will be very easy and useful to have the value copied.

Martin Dráb responded on 14 Aug 2018 5:06 PM

Sorry, it's difficult to follow you if you mix unrelated things in a single thread. Please avoid that in future. Also notice that you ask questions in a thread that you've already marked as answered.

Unfortunately you didn't explain what problem you have with it, so let me give you a brief overview of the whole process.

Find data you want (discussed above). Also, select the record you want to update (if you indeed want to update an existing record; I have to guess here due to the lack of information from you) - it's similar to the selection discussed above, but this time you want to do it with 'forUpdate' keyword and do it inside a transaction (you may want to use a search engine to learn what these things are and see more code snippets). Then assigned field values (discussed above) and call update().

You should learn to split complex problems to several simpler ones. Learning how to update data (first without all the other stuff) would be a good start. Here is an example:

RSExtendedEmplTable extEmpl;

ttsBegin;

select firstOnly forUpdate extEmpl
    where …;

if (extEmpl)
{
    extEmpl.BankName = "New bank name";
    extEmpl.update();

}

ttsCommit;
Martin Dráb responded on 10 Aug 2018 11:18 PM
Verified Answer

If you have the value of A (in C), is it sufficient to uniquely identify a record in the table with A and B? If so, you can simply find the record by A and read B. If it isn't, you need a different design.

Martin Dráb responded on 12 Aug 2018 7:43 AM
Verified Answer

Sorry. :) All right, let's walk through it in a slower pace. I'll use a concrete example; it will be easier to talk about things like "vendor" than "the table containing fields A and B".

Let's say that you're filling a custom table, MyOrder, with some values from a standard table containing vendors: VendTable.

Each vendor has an ID unique in the given company (AccountNum field in VendTable). Because it's unique, you can use it to find the right vendor in VendTable and read values of any other field. Therefore if your first lookup is for a vendor ID, you have everything you need to find all other fields too.

Let's say you get an ID 'Vendor001' and you're interested in BankAccount field. You could write code like this:

VendTable vendTable = VendTable::find('Vendor001');
str bankAccount = vendTable.BankAccount;

Note that a common approach is putting code for copying values from another table to an initFrom* method:

public void initFromVendTable(VendTable _vendTable)
{
    this.BankAccount = _vendTable;
}

But you should realize another important thing: because you can get all fields from VendTable at any time, you don't necessarily have to duplicate them in your table. You should ask yourself whether you're interested in the current values (e.g. the bank account currently used by the vendor) or values that were in place when the order was created (e.g. if the order was created a year ago and the vendor has changed his bank account since then, you still need the old account).

If you want current values, you shouldn't duplicate them in your table. It would cause you troubles, because when a vendor changes its account, you would have to update it in all tables where you've duplicate it.

But if you want original values and/or you want allow users to change the value to something else (such as using a different bank account for one particular order), having separate fields in your table (or another related table) is the right approach.

Ahmed Siliem responded on 12 Aug 2018 9:28 AM
My Badges
Verified Answer

Hi Martin,

Thank you very much for your interested reply.

Now, here is what I did:

1- I have created a 'Find' method in the table 'WorkerAccountBankCodeTbl' to be able to retrieve the required field:

public static WorkerAccountBankCodeTbl find(BankCode _BankCode)
{

select WABC
    where WABC.BankCode == _BankCode;
    return WABC;

}

This code is tested by next job, and the result was correct:
static void Job15(Args _args)
{
    ;
    WABC = WorkerAccountBankCodeTbl::find("SAMBSARIXXX");
    if ( WABC )
    {
        info(strFmt("%1, %2", WABC.BankCode, WABC.BankName));
    }
    else
        {
            info("Not available");
        }
}

2- I have created a 'Display' Method in table '' to just fix the matter of displaying the Bank Name:
display WorkerBankName BankName()
{
    return WorkerAccountBankCodeTbl::find(this.SwiftCode).BankName;

//HcmWorker::findByPersonnelNumber(this.EmplId).name();
}
the result was like that:

I want to use the WorkerAccountBankCodeTbl.BankName value to fill RSExtendedEmplTable.BankName based on the related Bankcode filed in both table.

Now, how to write the Modyfied() method code for RSExtendedEmplTable.BankCode to fill the RSExtendedEmplTable.BankName?

Martin Dráb responded on 12 Aug 2018 10:45 AM
Verified Answer

Are you sure that BankAccount is a unique key of WorkerAccountBankCodeTbl? It sounds very strange that worker would be a part of the unique key.

Don't create find() method for non-unique keys and when you decide to make one, make sure you follow the design pattern (you'll find thousand examples in the standard application).

Seriously, the key point here is understanding whether you have a unique key or not. Don't write a single line of code until you make sure that the designed logic makes sense.

Ahmed Siliem responded on 13 Aug 2018 2:45 AM
My Badges
Verified Answer

This table is used as a source data table to include the list of Banks. The field BankCode is a unique key (AllowDuplicates is set to 'No').

the index and field properties are as follow:

Martin Dráb responded on 13 Aug 2018 3:31 AM
Verified Answer

Okay, thank you for this explanation.

I wonder why you don't use the standard BackAccountTable for this purpose; you normally need much more information than just account number and bank name. But all right, it's your choice.

Then what I said applies - when you have BankCode, you can easily find the corresponding record in WorkerAccountBankCodeTbl and you can read BankName from there. But you should decide carefully whether you should copy the value to the other table or you should make a lookup when needed, as discussed in my previous reply.

Martin Dráb responded on 13 Aug 2018 2:04 PM
Verified Answer

It's difficult for me to give you concrete code if I know so little about your solution, such as what kind of report you're building and how your tables are related. Can you fill these gaps, please?

Writing something like RSExtendedEmplTable.BankName = WorkerAccountBankCodeTbl.BankName is trivial, but it's not useful without any context. And I don't know yours.

Ahmed Siliem responded on 13 Aug 2018 3:01 PM
My Badges
Verified Answer

The relation type is 'Normal':

The report is a tabular SSRS report. I did not decide yet whether to design a class report or query report, I do prefer a query report but it depends on the way of retrieving the BankName field. if the value copied, I will use query since it is a very simple report.

Please, do not forget the first question (If possible) or lead me to an existed example.

Martin Dráb responded on 13 Aug 2018 3:24 PM
Verified Answer

Is it a the report based on a query or an RDP class?

If a query, simply join these two tables and use WorkerAccountBankCodeTbl.BankName in the report.

If it's based on an RDP class, you can use the same query to fetch the data, but then you'll assigned the value of WorkerAccountBankCodeTbl.BankName to a field on a temporary table.

SBX - Two Col Forum

SBX - Migrated JS