Setup and run workflows for your business operations

Hello everyone, I hope this video finds you well. My name is Christos Pittis, and I am a Microsoft Dynamics NAV Consultant. In this episode, I am going to show you how to setup and run Sales Quote approval requests to your Sales Manager using the Workflows feature on Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2016.

You can set up and use workflows that connect business-process tasks performed by different users. System tasks, such as automatic posting, can be included as steps in workflows, preceded or followed by user tasks. Requesting and granting approval to create new records are typical workflow steps.

I will be switching between two roles so to demonstrate this scenario:

1. Salesperson
  2. Sales Manager

Open your Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2016 client and search for the Approval User Setup page. Click on it. In the User ID field lookup to find the Sales Manager’s User ID and click OK. Place a check mark in the following fields:

1. Unlimited Sales Approval
  2. Unlimited Request Approval
  3. Approval Administrator

In this example, I assume there is no Sales Amount Approval Limit and Sales Manager can delegate requests to substitute approvers or delete overdue approval requests.

In the second line look up the User ID field and select the Salesperson’s User ID. Do not forget to enter the Sales Manager’s User ID in the Approver ID field. If you wish to receive email notifications, then enter email addresses in the email field. Have in mind that you must setup an SMTP server first https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn951539(v=nav.90).aspx. After completing this task click OK to close the page.

Go back to your search bar and search for the Workflows page. Click on it. Click on the New Workflow from Templates button which locates on the top under the HOME tab. Expand the Sales Document node and select the Sales Quote Approval Workflow option. Click OK.

As you can see a workflow is based on the “IF THIS THEN THAT” logic. It comprises of three elements:

1. When Event
  2. On Condition
  3. Then Response

In the first line “Approval of a Sales Document is Requested”, go to the last column (Then Response), and lookup. Click on the third line “Create an approval request for the record using approver type Salesperson/Purchaser and approver limit type Direct Approver.” There is a section below, named Options for the Selected Response. Change the Approver type from “Salesperson/Purchaser” to “Approver”. Click ok to close the page. Tick the Enable button on the top and then click OK to close the page.

Now it’s time to create a Sales Quote. To do that, log into Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2016 with the Salesperson’s credentials. Go to the Departments menu, Sales and Marketing, Order Processing and then Sales Quotes. Create a new Sales Quote and then hit the “Send Approval Request” button. You will get a confirmation message “An Approval Request has been sent”. Click ok.

Login to Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2016 with the Sales Manager’s credentials and go the Sales Quotes, Pending Approval page. Hit the Refresh button if you can’t see the newly created Sales Quote. Click on the View button on the top. In this example, I noticed that the line discount is too high so I will place a comment – instruction to the salesperson to reduce it, and reject the Sales Quote. Hit the comment button to place a comment, click ok to save it and then click on the Reject button on the top. The document disappears from this page.

Login back to Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2016 with the Salesperson’s credentials and search for the Approval Request Entries page. Click on it. Hit the Refresh button if you have it open already and notice the Rejected status in the Sales Quote. Click on the Record button on the top, go to the NAVIGATE tab and click on the Comments button. Have a look at the Sales Manager’s instruction to reduce the line discount. Click OK to close the Comments page and edit the Sales Quote as instructed. Go back to the HOME tab and click on the Send Approval Request button one more time.

Login back to the system with the Sales Manager’s credentials, refresh the Sales Quote, Pending Approval page and hit the View button on the top. Notice the amended line discount and hit the Approve button on the top.

Login back to the database with the Salesperson’s credentials and refresh the Approval Request Entries page. The status is now set to Approved. Click on the Record button at the top and click on the Make Order button so to convert the Sales Quote to a Sales Order (after customer sign-off of course J). You will get the following warning “Do you want to convert the Sales Quote to an Order”? Click yes to the message. You will get a confirmation message “Quote (number) has been changed to Order (number)”.

Thanks for reading this blog post and watching my YouTube video. You can connect with me on LinkedIn https://uk.linkedin.com/in/christospittis or 365 talent portal https://www.365talentportal.com/

Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2016 tutorial

Christos Pittis

Microsoft Dynamics NAV/Dynamics 365 Business Central Consultant