SBX - Search With Button

SBX - Forum Post Title

Barcode Import

Dynamics 365 Business Central Forum

aaroni asked a question on 13 Jan 2018 1:06 PM

Question Status

Verified

Hello all,

We have successfully uploaded items and we are now able to complete transactions. We have over 12k items and need a way to bulk import our barcodes for these items. Does such a method exist?

Jennifer Ranz responded on 26 Jan 2018 1:50 PM
My Badges
Verified Answer

Aaroni,

Currently the barcoding functionality isn't available within Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations Business edition. This is something we are looking at adding. Once the functionality has been added you would be able to use the configuration packages to import the data.

thanks

Jen

IvanK responded on 31 Jan 2018 9:43 AM
My Badges

Hi! What about an automated migration? I know that data2crm offers the possibility to migrate CRM data across various systems. Moreover, it provides a free demo, users and modules mapping as well as possibility to restart migration over. Here is their official info https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/product/web-apps/magneticone.crm-data-migration and here you may ty to run a free demo https://www.data2crm.com/migration/crm/microsoft-dynamics-crm-migration-service/ Hope my answer will be useful for you! Thanks

ezbz responded on 13 Jul 2018 9:18 AM

he asked about business central and your answer is for finance and operation. please advice? 

we must have bar codes for business central. 

AJ Ansari responded on 16 Jul 2018 7:38 PM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

Hi ezbz,

To clarify, prior to April 2018, Dynamics 365 Business Central was known as "Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations, Business Edition". Jennifer's response was posted in January 2018, so she referenced the product with its prevailing name.

Because there was also another solution in the Dynamics 365 family with a similar name (Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations, Enterprise Edition), there was frequent confusion between the solutions. Among other reasons, I'm sure this was an important factor in Microsoft's decision to rename this solution to Dynamics 365 Business Central. And for the other solution, Microsoft simply dropped the "Enterprise Edition" suffix.

As for current functionality, I would categorize barcode support within Business Central as minimal / rudimentary. You can add an alphanumeric string for the barcode for an item from the Item Card by pulling up Cross References (it's an action item on the ribbon). You can also install a barcode font like 3of9 and use that in your report layouts to display certain information a one dimensional barcode.

For more advanced barcoding scenarios, Business Central will not be able to handle it natively. But I'm sure that in the next 6 to 12 months there will be at least one app on AppSource for Business Central - if not more - that addresses this requirement. There are a few different options available today for the on-prem edition of Business Central (known as Dynamics NAV), and it's a matter of time before one of these add-on developers refactors their solution for Business Central.

I hope this helps. If my response has answered your question, please verify by clicking Yes next to "Did this answer your question?"

Jason Nicolaou responded on 18 Jul 2018 6:11 AM
My Badges

Does anyone have experience with the ChargeLogic apps?  What do you gain in regards to barcoding with the Shipping APP?  I have not had a chance to test it yet.  

ezbz responded on 19 Jul 2018 12:46 PM

Hi Aj, can you confirm that this is on the road map. hard to believe they released inventory system without bar-codes.

Jennifer Ranz responded on 26 Jan 2018 1:50 PM
My Badges
Verified Answer

Aaroni,

Currently the barcoding functionality isn't available within Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations Business edition. This is something we are looking at adding. Once the functionality has been added you would be able to use the configuration packages to import the data.

thanks

Jen

AJ Ansari responded on 16 Jul 2018 7:38 PM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

Hi ezbz,

To clarify, prior to April 2018, Dynamics 365 Business Central was known as "Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations, Business Edition". Jennifer's response was posted in January 2018, so she referenced the product with its prevailing name.

Because there was also another solution in the Dynamics 365 family with a similar name (Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations, Enterprise Edition), there was frequent confusion between the solutions. Among other reasons, I'm sure this was an important factor in Microsoft's decision to rename this solution to Dynamics 365 Business Central. And for the other solution, Microsoft simply dropped the "Enterprise Edition" suffix.

As for current functionality, I would categorize barcode support within Business Central as minimal / rudimentary. You can add an alphanumeric string for the barcode for an item from the Item Card by pulling up Cross References (it's an action item on the ribbon). You can also install a barcode font like 3of9 and use that in your report layouts to display certain information a one dimensional barcode.

For more advanced barcoding scenarios, Business Central will not be able to handle it natively. But I'm sure that in the next 6 to 12 months there will be at least one app on AppSource for Business Central - if not more - that addresses this requirement. There are a few different options available today for the on-prem edition of Business Central (known as Dynamics NAV), and it's a matter of time before one of these add-on developers refactors their solution for Business Central.

I hope this helps. If my response has answered your question, please verify by clicking Yes next to "Did this answer your question?"

SBX - Two Col Forum

SBX - Migrated JS