Try Microsoft Edge
A fast and secure browser that's designed for Windows 10
I'm trying to delete out 249 items using Edit In Excel. I've selected the lines to be deleted and deleted the whole line. When I go to publish I get 249 of the same errors. Any thoughts?
A couple things:
1. Is this an Excel spreadsheet that you'd first exported using the Edit in Excel function a while back? I just went to the Items list page and pushed out a new spreadsheet using Edit in Excel, and I see that the web service it's point to is "ItemCards" and not "Item_Card". I suspect it was "Item_Card at some point, and the product team at Microsoft quietly update the Web service endpoint, rendering the connection in your file unworkable. I suspect that deletions/publishing aside, you are probably unable to use the "Refresh" function in the Microsoft Dynamics plug-in in Excel either. Either way, I recommend that you go to the Items list page in Business Central and do a fresh export by clicking on Edit in Excel, and use that file.
2. While your error message isn't saying this, keep in mind that you will not be able to delete any Items that have had any activity (and purchase, sale, adjustment, movement, phys. inventory adjustment, etc.; essentially, if it has a ledger entry or value entry or any kind, you won't be able to simply zap it off from Business Central. You can, however, block it.
I hope this helps. If my response has answered your question, please verify by clicking Yes next to "Did this answer your question?"
Thanks for the response. Here are the answers to your questions.
1. This is a "fresh" Excel spreadsheet that I just exported using the Edit In Excel function within the item list in BC. The spreadsheet also doesn't have any issues refreshing and showing me the correct data. Issue arises when I try to publish any type of changes to the item list (description updates and/or deleting of items).
When I take your lead on the web service/data source my spreadsheet shows it as 'Item_Card' and not the 'ItemCards' as yours does. When I delete out this source and go to add a new one I don't see 'ItemCards' I only see 'Item_Card'.
I do think you're onto something here though just not sure how to fix my issue. I'm sure it has something to do with my Server URL maybe being incorrect. Mine shows: exceladdinprovider.smb.dynamics.com
2. The items I'm trying to delete are in a new company with no activity so I shouldn't have any issues deleting them out.
Just to give an update we are submitting a support case with Microsoft regarding this issue. I will update with the resolution here once we have it working correctly.
I saw that you've opened a case with Microsoft, but if you haven't heard back yet, here's something that might help:
Since you mentioned the Server URL, it made me think of a support case we'd opened up in early June with Microsoft around a similar publishing issue. I can't remember the specifics of the error message but that a couple of our clients were unable to publish changes. We'd opened the case on May 30th, and Chris Bulson from the support team had suggested a temporary fix to get things working. On June 1, Chris informed us that a hotfix had been deployed, resolving the issue.
Here is what we were asked to do to work around the issue. It might work for you too.
From Chis Bulson, Microsoft:
This is down for everyone right now. Development has a fix that they are testing and will hopefully deploy in the next day or two. In the meantime you can go into the Add-in Settings and change the URL from - exceladdinprovider.smb.dynamics.com
To the old URL format https://<tenant>.financials.dynamics.com
This should allow you to publish. The problem is that you will need to do this every time you open a new ‘Edit in Excel’ file.
The issue had to do with using special characters (# and ") within the item number. We were able to import the items in that way however cannot modify or delete them using the Edit in Excel process. We however can modify them within the system itself. We did open a case with Microsoft and discovered this while testing things with support. At this time we're not sure if it's just a bug or something we actually need to fix and remove the special characters from the item number. The environment isn't on the latest version of BC so we're waiting until the upgrade happens to test again.
Business Applications communities