Hello;

Today we're going to start with Part 1 in the Dynamics 365 Apps. This will be a general overview and understanding of it and following blogs will go into great detail on possibilities and limitations.

With the release of Dynamics 365 we seen the release of the concept of Business Apps inside of CRM. The business app is a role-based container that organizes functionalities by role. It allows us to only expose the parts of CRM we want to a particular security role. This will help us narrow down the focus of our users of the system to only what they need. In the past this was achieved through a combination of many steps; sitemap editing as well removing of permissions to unneeded entities. I still suggest doing proper security role setup as it's critical to ensure end users can properly access what they need to do the job. With the first release of this App concept it's limited to only the web application not mobile, tablet, outlook, and interactive service hub.

I've spun up a trial with all of the different business apps installed from Microsoft in my CRM org. The picture below shows the 5 options for CRM from Microsoft out of the box.

For me this concept is something that's been long awaited and needed on the Dynamics CRM front. It's something that is easier to create small inner apps within CRM allowing companies to focus on only what's needed for the job. From the consulting world I think that this will make it easier to jump into existing companies deployments of CRM and see what functionality is being used.

Now that we have a bit better understanding of what an App is within the context of Dynamics 365 I'll be diving into creation of an App next time.