Hello;

Today we're going to continue the in-depth series on Dynamics 365 Apps Part 5 which will go into detail on the validation mechanism as well how to include your application in a solution.

Series links:

The two areas to wrap up my blog series on the new features of Applications really are validating and then putting the entire application within a solution.

Validation

The validation process must be completed before your able to publish any of your changes to the application. In part 4 we left off with completing the sitemap using the Sitemap Designer. I've validated the Sales Agent application we've built and it's throwing 3 warning messages. It's showing with three of the selected entities it doesn't reference a form or view specifically and warns us that the users will be able to see all forms and views. I do appreciate the level of detail given as this information can be inferred if your experienced in using Dynamics CRM but it makes it readily available to those who are not. One validation is completed we can now Publish this application.

Security Roles for Application

The ability to association security roles to Applications is fantastic. It really is a required step in my mind; if your a vendor building a solution your able to create your own Security Role and deploy with the Application Package for easy use. When we're looking at the list of all Applications installed in your organization; we can look at the security roles associated to a particular Application. Let's open the manage roles area for the Sales Agents app we've built.

When we open the Manage Roles we get the familiar security role selector.

Putting the Application into a Solution

Once an Application is built it's important to be able to package it and ship it as a finished product. Solutions allow us to do this easily. It's important to understand what you've included in the application so it can also be added to the Solution. This would include entities/forms/views/charts/dashboards/BPF/ custom application sitemap. It's pretty straight forward to add an Application to a solution. It's just making sure you have all of the other components that are required.

Conclusion 

Truthfully the Application feature introduced in Dynamics 365 isn't going anywhere; if anything we'll see further investment in this from Microsoft. It's a great way of doing some advanced things through a nice easy to user interface. I can't stress how valuable it is to have the ability to visualize and see what the end users will see when using the CRM (i.e. navigation and forms, views etc etc). This will allow us to not have to continually change roles to reproduce elements within the CRM experience. I'm excited about this new feature and can't wait to see how everyone starts to use it. Thanks for coming along this journey with me and learning about Dynamics 365 Applications. I think next i'll put together a video around this functionality and talk to it. Stay tuned for more!