One of the features of Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 is the ability to set requirement levels of a field. There are three options:

None
Recommended
Required

I always smile at the recommended option, as I actually think it’s a waste of time – Just my opinion.

What would be useful sometimes though is that a field requirement might change based on a choice somewhere else on the CRM form

While Microsoft Dynamics CRM doesn’t allow for this out of the box, there is a nice way to accomplish this by way of scripting. The code below will assign the requirement level of Required on the field ‘prioritycode’:

function setrequire()
{
Xrm.Page.getAttribute("prioritycode").setRequiredLevel("required");
}

This in itself isn’t particularly useful. If all we’re going to do is change a requirement level onload, then you might as well set it at the field level anyway. What we want to do is change it based on a choice on another field.

You could place the above code within an ‘If’ statement so if a certain choice is made, then the requirement level of a field is  changed:

function setrequire()
{
var type = Xrm.Page.getAttribute("new_natureofenquiry").getSelectedOption().text;

if (type == "Option1")
    {

Xrm.Page.getAttribute("prioritycode").setRequiredLevel("required");
}
else
{

Xrm.Page.getAttribute("prioritycode").setRequiredLevel("none");
}
}

The code above initially gets the value of a field (Text Value in this case) and if it meets a criteria (= “Option1”) then changes the requirement level.

Enjoy.

Rob