I had encountered the following error while trying to update a CRM User’s Business Unit in a Dynamics CRM 2015 On-Premises TEST environment – it prevented me from making any updates to a CRM user:

Data Encryption error – There are encrypted fields in the organization database, but the data encryption feature isn’t activated…

I then received the following error when trying to activate Data Encryption in the TEST environment:

Error – The HTTPS protocol is required for this type of request.

Since this CRM TEST environment does not need HTTPS – here is a way to by-pass this error (NOT recommended for PRODUCTION CRM):

Referencing this article – ran the following SQL to disable SSL Checking for Encryption  via MS SQL Server Management Studio and then perform an IISRESET:

UPDATE [MSCRM_CONFIG].[dbo].[DeploymentProperties]
SET [BitColumn]=1
WHERE ColumnName=’DisableSSLCheckForEncryption’

I then encountered two errors trying to activate Data Encryption:

1. The new encryption key does not meet the strong encryption key requirements – easy fix so instead of the value “test” – I set it to a value that would work

2. Please select an account that is a member of the PrivUserGroup – another easy fix, added PrivUserGroup{GUID} membership to my CRM Login via Active Directory Users Console

Finally success.  Issue solved – I can move on to my testing!

Contact me if you need some Dynamics 365 Sales/CRM or InsideView assistance.

Frank Lee, Dynamics 365 Business Solutions MVP Sales/CRM San Francisco
Workopia, Inc – Maximum User Adoption!