SBX - Search With Button

SBX - Forum Post Title

Show product description in the quote

Microsoft Dynamics CRM Forum

Shahd asked a question on 11 Jan 2017 2:11 AM
My Badges

Question Status

Suggested Answer

We are generating quotes through a word template, i searched for a proper control content to show the product description but it didn't work. We need to show the product details when sending quotes for customers. 

There are some related control contents fields i tried that are some how related to product description(productiddsc, productdescription,...), but they didn't show any results. Notice that each product in our database has its own description. 

Is it needed to have the product description column in the product quote inline view in  order to export the product description in our quotes? I noted that inline view is not editable too. 

I tried also to map fields between the products and quotes, but the description field for the product does not have mapping options. 

Any help will be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance. 

Wizard IT LLC responded on 15 Sep 2018 7:33 PM
Suggested Answer

Yes it's been working for me for a few months thankfully I forgot I never responded.  I'll say it was fixed in Q2 2018 or after a version upgrade in May to 19 something I believe

Chris Mahanes responded on 16 Sep 2018 7:04 AM

If this worked, can you please mark the answer as verified

Tom Northrup responded on 11 Jan 2017 10:58 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

Hi Shahd, thanks for reaching out.

The quoteproduct record is what is showing in the subgrid on the quote. You will need to access the product description on the quoteproduct record. This typically requires a workflow to update quoteproduct on creation by copying over the product.productdescription field.

Then see if when creating the template you can map a related attribute from the quoteproduct record.

Another option if you only add one product to a quote you could have a workflow populate the quote description field with the product description.

Let me know how far this gets you.

Matt H responded on 14 Jun 2017 4:47 PM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

I got around this issue for now by just creating a database trigger on the quotedetailbase table, its not my favorite solution but its a bandaid imo. Optimally, this should be something that could be done in workflows but only some related entities are available. This will only work with on prem i imagine as you need access to the DB.

I created two new fields on the quote product entity for this because there seemed to be an issue with using the default description and productid fields in quotedetailbase, it may have been because i previously tried to set up a 1:N from products to quote product.

CREATE TRIGGER [dbo].[UpdateProductInfo]
   ON  [dbo].[QuoteDetailBase]
   AFTER INSERT
AS
BEGIN
    -- SET NOCOUNT ON added to prevent extra result sets from
    -- interfering with SELECT statements.
    SET NOCOUNT ON;
    -- Insert statements for trigger here
    update QuoteDetailBase
    set quotedetailbase.new_ProductNumber = ProductBase.ProductNumber, quotedetailbase.new_ProductDescription = productbase.Description
    from quotedetailbase inner join productbase on productbase.productid=quotedetailbase.productid
    where QuoteDetailId in (select QuoteDetailId from inserted)
        and quotedetailbase.new_ProductNumber is NULL
        and QuoteDetailBase.new_ProductDescription is NULL
END

and now in my work template after using the new_ fields i get 

Chris Mahanes responded on 3 Aug 2018 9:23 PM
Suggested Answer

The easiest way that I have found is to use MS flow because I have a client that is not using Project Service Automation and needed this exact requirement

1. In Dynamics enable Quote Line for Change Tracking

2. Create a field to hold the value of the product id. You can call it "SKU"

3. Next log into to flow and select the "When a record is selected"

4. Select the "Get Record" and search in the product table. Then you will pass the existing product from the quote line step

5. Finally the last step be to update the Quote Line from the create step and pass the Product ID to the SKU field.

Now you will have quote lines with SKUs that you can pull in with your word documents! If this answered your question please mark as verified.

Wizard IT LLC responded on 15 Sep 2018 7:33 PM
Suggested Answer

Yes it's been working for me for a few months thankfully I forgot I never responded.  I'll say it was fixed in Q2 2018 or after a version upgrade in May to 19 something I believe

SBX - Two Col Forum

SBX - Migrated JS