SBX - Search With Button

SBX - Forum Post Title

CRM reporting Extension - SSRS instance is blank

Microsoft Dynamics CRM Forum

Usmani asked a question on 9 May 2018 11:40 PM

Question Status

Verified

Trying to install Reporting Extension for CRM 2016 but SSRS instance is blank.

VM containing (SQL & CRM on same machine)

• Windows Server 2016
  • SQL Server 2017 - Microsoft SQL Server 2017 (RTM-CU6) (KB4101464) - 14.0.3025.34 (X64)   Apr  9 2018 18:00:41   Copyright (C) 2017 Microsoft Corporation  Developer Edition (64-bit) on Windows Server 2016 Standard 10.0 <X64> (Build 14393: ) (Hypervisor) 
  • Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server already installed on VM
  • Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services is running and I am able to browse the reporting URL
  • SQL, CRM and reporting are installed using same account 'administrator'. This is part of "PrivReportingGroup" as mentioned in https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh699754.aspx#sql_server_reporting_services 
  • SQL server has default instance only

Can you please help me how to fix the error below (SSRS instance name is empty). Can we install reporting extension on SQL server 2017 (should be OK as I was able to install CRM server) 

Vincor responded on 25 Jan 2019 6:56 AM

you did it! nice work. I finally could choose my organisation.

System.Exception: Error.ActionFailed Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Admin.UpgradeDatabaseAction ---> Microsoft.Crm.CrmException: Error in Action: Bin\Microsoft.Crm.DataUpgrade.dll:TrackCustomDatabaseObjects on attempt 3. System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Ein Aufrufziel hat einen Ausnahmefehler verursacht. ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Die Datei oder Assembly "Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo, Version=11.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91" oder eine Abhängigkeit davon wurde nicht gefunden. Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden.

I had to install Cleartypes SQL Server2012 and SharedManagementObject 2012 because the import gave an exception.

After this was fixed the next Problem occured:

Microsoft.Crm.PackageDeployment.PackageDeployerException: Package BaseCustomControlsCore failed to install on attempt 1.
System.AggregateException: Mindestens ein Fehler ist aufgetreten. ---> Microsoft.Crm.MultiTenantPackageDeployment.PackageDeployerImportException: PackageDeployerWrapper: Import Failed status encountered. Details: Failed to load solution Base Custom Controls Core, version: 9.0.0000.0375. See the log file.
   bei Microsoft.Crm.MultiTenantPackageDeployment.PdExecutor.Process(PackageDeploymentInputArgs input, JobOutput`1 output, CancellationToken ct)
   bei System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()

Microsoft really blew this one!

Ruediger Friebel responded on 10 Feb 2019 4:19 AM

The solution with the new dummy service, ....  did wirk for me. Reporting services are now isntalled. Gret thanx for the solution!!!!

genesis_mp responded on 14 Feb 2019 7:02 AM

2. The setup program also needs a windows service names exactly 'ReportServer$SSRS'. To achieve this, just create a dummy blank new service with a specified name and register it using C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\InstallUtil.exe

How do i do this? I used:
sc create ReportServer$SSRS binPath= C:\_Temp\ReportServer$SSRS.exe DisplayName= "ReportServer$SSRS" start= auto

It worked for the Installation check but then i get the error - Cannot start Service ReportServer$SSRS on Computer %1 is not a valid Win32 application.

Do you create this with Visual Studio or how you do it?

Please can you help me out, Thanks!

EDIT:

It worked now for me with that solution.

1. Create a ReportServer$SSRS.bat file in C:\_Temp with contents "pause"
  2. Download NSSM from http://www.nssm.cc/download
  3. Extract nssm.exe (x86 or x64) to C:\Windows\nssm.exe
  4. Run "nssm install"
  5. Path: C:\ReportServer$SSRS.bat
  6. Service name - ReportServer$SSRS.bat
  7. Hit "Install service"

Vincor responded on 15 Feb 2019 10:12 AM

I created the Service with this command:

sc create "ReportServer$SSRS" binpath= "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\InstallUtil.exe"

Evgeniy Muzyukov responded on 18 Feb 2019 12:08 AM
My Badges

Do you create this with Visual Studio or how you do it? 

- Yes, just like this:

Evgeniy Muzyukov responded on 23 Jan 2019 6:05 AM
My Badges
Verified Answer

After spending a few hours I've figured out what exactly should I do to install this glorious SSRS CRM Data Connector (Microsoft Dynamics CRM Reporting Extensions) on SQL Server 2017.
These Extensions were for Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 but I'm sure you can use this method for CRM 2016 and 365 too.

1. Make sure that in the Report Server Configuration Manager there is specified a service account which is a member of PrivReportingGroup and has a _write permissions_ to this group. This account must not be a member of SQLAccessGroup. At least during installation.
2. The setup program also needs a windows service names exactly 'ReportServer$SSRS'. To achieve this, just create a dummy blank new service with a specified name and register it using C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\InstallUtil.exe

3. After that, we need to open Regedit.exe to make changes that will allow the setup program to discover and validate our SSRS instance.

* In [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\Instance Names\RS] branch add new REG_SZ attribute with name 'MSSQLSERVER' and value 'SSRS'
* In [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\SSRS\Setup] branch add new REG_SZ attribute with name 'Version' and value '14.0.600.906' (in my case, you should use your version of SQL server)
4. Now run the setup program (SetupSrsDataConnector.exe). Some next step must show our SSRS instance and we choose it. After all the steps done we will get the last step with important System Checks which all must be green, thanks to our preparation actions.

Voilà! Setup complete successfully.

5. Manually restart SSRS using stop and start buttons in Report Server Configuration Manager.
6. Finally, check in the /Reports web application. Open any data source and check that a new data source type options have appeared.

SBX - Two Col Forum

SBX - Migrated JS