SBX - Search With Button

SBX - Forum Post Title

Dynamics CRM 2011 on-Prem is excessively slow in IE on Windows 10

Microsoft Dynamics CRM Forum

surfrock66 asked a question on 17 May 2019 12:41 PM

Question Status

Suggested Answer

I am in an environment where our primary business application is On-Prem CRM 2011.  While we have had an open project for about 3 years to upgrade to a newer version, it has not happened; mostly this is due to resource availability in migrating our extensive custom javascript code.  Because of this, we are starting to run into work-stopping issues and I am seeking some guidance.

Due to Windows 7 end-of-life (reminder...January 2020), we are migrating users to Windows 10.  Thus far, on Windows 10, we are finding CRM experiences almost unusable performance issues.  Due to the custom code, CRM basically doesn't work in Chrome/firefox...even though the core issues are fixed, the custom code breaks and it is not a viable solution.  We have had no luck with Edge and have a GPO routing all requests to our CRM servers to Internet Explorer.  The GPO also forces compatibility mode with IE 7 via an "EnterpriseSiteModeList"; this avoided major breakages.  

In summary, we are on Windows 10, CRM loads in IE (not Edge) in compatibility mode for IE 7.

The performance is abysmal.  The user experience is 2-3 second lag...if you type a name into the search bar, each letter takes 1-2 seconds to show up.  We have traced it to css recalculations on grid/tables/lists, which our entire interface is made of.  On any onchange event, the developer tools "Performance" diagnostic shows EXTENSIVE "style calculation" events followed up by a garbage collection event.  I do not work too much on the CRM Application side (I'm server/systems, not application) but it seems that the entire style sheet is re-applied for every onchange event, which includes every character typed into search bars, any clicks on dropdowns, or any scrolling action with a scrollbar.

Is there anything we can do from an application/server side to alleviate this?  The performance is completely resolved if we switch to IE 10 compatibility mode, but there are other breakages we are looking for workarounds for.  Is there a code change we can do which alleviates how often the styles are recalculated?

Under the "Style calculation" event, there are excessive "<li>" items, "<nobr class="gridcellpadding"> items, and "<span class="ms-crm-LookupItem-Name"> items.  Thousands of them.  In a 5.4 second sample period, style calculations were more than 50% of the UI thread summary.

Thanks!

Suggested Answer

Hi

IE 7 compatibility mode on Windows 10 is normally slow in my view. I would recommend you use IE 11 as its officially supported and if there are Javascript errors these will have to be fixed. I found Chrome is much faster in loading CRM 2011 pages than IE but then if the custom code is built around mostly IE features, quite a few changes may have to be made to to get it working Chrome/Firefox/Edge.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/3005163/compatibility-with-microsoft-dynamics-crm-2011

I think you might need some developer or developer's assistance to fix any JS errors if you want to get it working on IE11 or Chrome.

I would also try on different machines, especially on machines with plenty of resources ie processing power and memory

surfrock66 responded on 17 May 2019 2:16 PM

Weird, we can't even get IE11 mode to load, it's just a grey screen, potentially due to custom code.  It's why we're experimenting with 10.  This is happening on ALL our machines, including new i7 16GB memory machines which is our latest standard.

Could you share the IE version ?

surfrock66 responded on 17 May 2019 2:31 PM

IE 11.706.17134.0 working in compatibility mode for IE 7; this has happened with every IE 11 version since Windows 10 deployments began about 1 year ago.

Suggested Answer

Is this compatibility mode is something configured via Group Policy? I would try and override this and not set to IE 7 mode.

Just the following compatibility setting works for me for CRM 2011, no need to run in IE 7 mode as that will break many features and slow things down

Jason Benedetti responded on 20 May 2019 8:44 AM

I'd probably check what RU you're using. If you're on 18 then you're going to have issues, 17 is the last RU that IE11 works with. It's going to get worse with the new version of Edge and any new version of Chrome.

Currently in the same boat as you whilst we budget the upgrade to 365 (Decade of custom C# and JS to re-write and a mass data cleanse required). We're having to totally halt our upgrades to W10 because of CRM.

Shidin Haridas responded on 20 May 2019 9:51 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

Seem to be in a pithole on this one!

Let's be realistic. Even with the latest RU of CRM 2011, I don't THINK that performance improvements will be seen, as going by what you said, there is a huge amount of custom coding on the CRM application.

This is the 'technical debt' that many pundits in the CRM space is going on about.

You would need to involve developer resources at the earliest. But that is something you already know!

Sorry for not being much useful :(

Suggested Answer

Hi

IE 7 compatibility mode on Windows 10 is normally slow in my view. I would recommend you use IE 11 as its officially supported and if there are Javascript errors these will have to be fixed. I found Chrome is much faster in loading CRM 2011 pages than IE but then if the custom code is built around mostly IE features, quite a few changes may have to be made to to get it working Chrome/Firefox/Edge.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/3005163/compatibility-with-microsoft-dynamics-crm-2011

I think you might need some developer or developer's assistance to fix any JS errors if you want to get it working on IE11 or Chrome.

I would also try on different machines, especially on machines with plenty of resources ie processing power and memory

Suggested Answer

Is this compatibility mode is something configured via Group Policy? I would try and override this and not set to IE 7 mode.

Just the following compatibility setting works for me for CRM 2011, no need to run in IE 7 mode as that will break many features and slow things down

Shidin Haridas responded on 20 May 2019 9:51 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

Seem to be in a pithole on this one!

Let's be realistic. Even with the latest RU of CRM 2011, I don't THINK that performance improvements will be seen, as going by what you said, there is a huge amount of custom coding on the CRM application.

This is the 'technical debt' that many pundits in the CRM space is going on about.

You would need to involve developer resources at the earliest. But that is something you already know!

Sorry for not being much useful :(

SBX - Two Col Forum

SBX - Migrated JS