Question Status

Suggested Answer
CNavas asked a question on 7 Feb 2012 1:29 PM

Hello,

I have 2 entities (E1 and E2) related with a 1:N relationship. I would have liked to change this relationship to a N:N. Is it possible? If not, is there a workaround?

Thanks for your help.

CRM Manager responded on 9 Feb 2012 9:50 AM

I would remove the 1:N relationship first, save and Publish and then establish N:N relationship.

Raj 

www.seepath.com

Dynamics AX 2012  | CRM 2011 

CNavas responded on 9 Feb 2012 1:47 PM

Thanks for your answer.

I tried that. The problem is that the information in both entities are not linked anymore: we can't see the entry in E2 relating to the entry in E1, and vice-versa.

That is my issue: Modifying the relationship without losing information.

Regards.

Suggested Answer
Mohammad Atif responded on 13 Feb 2012 4:41 PM

Hi CNavs,

Thank you for asking this question. Two relationships at the same time is not possible in Microsoft Dynamics CRM. In order to create a N:N relationship the N:1 relationship should not be there and vice versa.

Hope that answers the question.

Thanks,

Mohammad

CNavas responded on 14 Feb 2012 12:56 PM

Hi Mohammad,

The 2 relationships were not at the same time.

Here's the thing:

- The two entities had a N:1 relationship. So 1 entry in E1 could be linked to N entries in E2. So if you open an E1 entry, the related E2 entries list is diplayed

- Users have begun to enter information in those entities.

- Now, we need that 1 entry in E2 can have N entries in E1. Which means modifying the relationship to N:N. Unless there is a workaround I don't know about.

If I try to delete the N:1 relationship, add the N:N one, and then open the E1 entry, I don't see anymore the related E2 entries.

For example, let's say a client could have N contracts, and 1 contract was linked to 1 client. When I would open 1 client, I would all his/her contracts.

Now I also need 1 contract to be linked to N clients. But if I change the relationship between the Client and Contract entities to N:N, when I open a client, I can't see his/her contracts anymore.

So it doesn't seem as simple as only modifying the relationship. Or maybe I miss a step...

I hope it's more clear. :)

Mohammad Atif responded on 14 Feb 2012 3:17 PM

HI CNavas,

I understand the scenario now.

Basically you are trying to do a cascading of the relationship. What I think it is not possible because to do any modification it need to be unpublished and republish .And cascading on relationship is not possible. Please give me some time I will see if there is a workaround available on this requirement.

Thanks,

Mohammad

Suggested Answer
Michael Mayo responded on 17 Feb 2012 12:49 PM

LOL - the answer is much simpler than all this. You have an unwanted 1:N relationship, and would like an N:N. Why can't we just create the N:N, migrate any data created from the unwanted 1:N and delete the 1:N?

CNavas responded on 21 Feb 2012 7:08 AM

Hi Michael,

Are you saying it is possible to migrate data from the 1:N relationship to the N:N one? How can it be done?

Michael Mayo responded on 21 Feb 2012 8:43 AM

I use Scribe Insight, but you can create a CRM Proxy and use SSIS. You're not going to be able to use the out of the box import tool for this one.

Suggested Answer
Mohammad Atif responded on 13 Feb 2012 4:41 PM

Hi CNavs,

Thank you for asking this question. Two relationships at the same time is not possible in Microsoft Dynamics CRM. In order to create a N:N relationship the N:1 relationship should not be there and vice versa.

Hope that answers the question.

Thanks,

Mohammad

Suggested Answer
Michael Mayo responded on 17 Feb 2012 12:49 PM

LOL - the answer is much simpler than all this. You have an unwanted 1:N relationship, and would like an N:N. Why can't we just create the N:N, migrate any data created from the unwanted 1:N and delete the 1:N?