SRS Connector Installation Failure (CRM 2011)

This question is not answered

Hello,

We are testing an update to SQL Server 2012 in our labs today. It will be used to host the Dynamics CRM 2011 system. The SQL Server update seems to work. We were able to install a fresh copy of Dynamics CRM 2011. However, when trying to install the CRM SRS Reporting Extensions we are met with the following error on the setup's "Specify SSRS Instance Name" page, "Provider Load Failure". The Report Server is operational and has already been configured. We have tested the reporting service by uploaded an internal report and running it directly.

Dynamics CRM 2011 seems to work without any problems by itself. But without SRS Reporting Extensions working, we won't be able to begin an upgrade on our production server. Any ideas?

Thanks,

All Replies
  • Phillip,

Are you running UR 6 on CRM 2011? That is required for SQL 2012 to work with CRM 2011.

Jerry, Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP
    CRM Innovation
    Need a solution for CRM to help you manage Events or Email Marketing?
    Follow me on Twitter

CRM Innovation - Consulting and Solutions
    Need a solution for CRM to help you manage your Internet Lead Capture or Events or Email Marketing?
    Follow me on Twitter

• Update Rollup 6? No. I can't get UR 6 to install the SRS update unless SRS is already installed.

• have you applied UR 6 to the server?

CRM Innovation - Consulting and Solutions
    Need a solution for CRM to help you manage your Internet Lead Capture or Events or Email Marketing?
    Follow me on Twitter

• I'm pretty sure we have, yes. I'm in the process of doing a clean install of CRM. Let me get back with you.

• Yes, I have Server UR 6 installed. SRS is still not installing.

Also, I have checked to be sure that the PATH variable on the server is set correctly. I know some people with this error had an invalid PATH configured.

• Hi Phillip,

Can you please see: support.microsoft.com/.../2686619

There are some known issues with SQL 2012.

Thanks,

Mohammad

• I saw that before posting but didn't feel it was relevent as it says that you need to reinstall SRS which is what I'm trying to do.

• Hi Phillip,

Thank you for the update E-mail.

Could you please let me know?

1. Is SQL and SSRS server are same or different?

2. Can you please confirm me if you are using "Get updates for Microsoft Dynamics CRM" radio button during installation:xrmadventures.wordpress.com/.../crm-2011-reporting-extension-installation-with-pre-created-ad-groups

3. Can you please re- mention the error message you are getting on UI and check if you are getting any error message in event viewer during the installation?

4. What service account SQL and SSRS services are running under? And what service account the CRM services are running under. Can you please check if you are getting the same error message if you are running it under the same service account?

Thanks,

Mohammad

• 1. SQL and SSRS are running on the same server. They are both the same version (SQL Server 2012 RTM).

2. Yes, The "Get updates for Microsoft Dynamics CRM" option is being set to yes/true for both the CRM 2011 Server setup and the CRM 2011 SRS Reporting Extensions setup.

3. During the SRS Reporting Extensions setup, on the page labeled "Specify SSRS Instance Name", The following error is received when choosing the instance from the dropdown and clicking next: "Provider Load Failure".

4. The following service accounts are in use.

- SQL Server 2012 Engine ("SQL Server"):  NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM (Local System)

- SQL Server 2012 SSRS ("SQL Server Reporting Services"):  NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM (Local System)

- All Dynamics CRM 2011 Windows Services:  NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE (Network Service)

- IIS CRMAppPool:  NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE (Network Service)

- IIS CrmDeploymentServiceAppPool:  NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE (Network Service)

I will try it again running all services under the SYSTEM account and see what I get.

• This has not had any effect. In addition to changing services around to use SYSTEM I granted SYSTEM complete access to the CRM databases.

Also, when choosing "Get Updates for Microsoft Dynamics CRM", it doesn't find any during setup.

• Hi Phillip,

I am expecting that it is related to: support.microsoft.com/.../980142, which is applicable to SQL 2005 and SQL 2008 but not for SQl2012, however cannot give you a confirmation on this before looking into this in more details.

If you are willing to open a support case with Microsoft, i request you to please go ahead and create a support case with Microsoft and we will work with you closely to fix this issue.

Also if you can wait for some more time to check any other response and suggestions before opening a support case will fine.

Thanks,

Mohammad

• I also saw that link as well before posting. The only problem with that is, if it is related to that, it's not fixable on my end. It's something on the Microsoft Teams end.

At the moment we don't have the financial backing for a support case and I don't see them authorizing payment for this. They will simply say "revert back to SQL Server 2008". It looks like for now, we won't be upgrading to SQL Server 2012 until there is a resolution for this.

But if someone else has any other recommendations, let me know.

• The following workaround has been implemented to bypass this issue. It's not the best solution but it works.

The primary task that had to be completed in our workflow was to upgrade the SQL Engine from SQL Server 2008 R2 to SQL Server 2012. Upgrading the reporting services was not a requirement for us.

This is what we were able to get to work in our environment.

SQL Server 2012 (ENGINE, REPORTING SERVICES) was currently installed along with Dynamics CRM 2011.

1. Backup all SSRS databases.

2. Install SQL Server Reporting Services 2008 R2 (not the engine, just SSRS).

3. Install Dynamics CRM Reporting Extensions (Successful).

4. Update Dynamics CRM Reporting Extensions to UR 6.

5. Configure SSRS 2008 R2, creating a new report database. The database resides on SQL Server 2012.

6. Use Dynamics CRM 2011 Deployment Manager to move the CRM Deployments to use the new SSRS 2008 R2 system, but keeping the database server on SQL Server 2012.

7. Test configuration (successfully displays reports).

8. Restart Server.

9. Uninstall SQL Server Reporting Services 2012.

10. Restart Server.

11. Final testing of SSRS system with Dynamics CRM 2011.

We would rather use SSRS 2012 instead of SSRS 2008 but this is a workaround until it is resolved. I hope this helps others.