Convert opportunity to Account

This question is answered

Does anyone know the answer to this; Pre-Polaris we were able to convert a lead or opportunity to an account, but after Polaris release, using the sales process; Lead > Opportunity - when clicking "won", the opportunity gets converted to a Contact. Any idea on how to convert it to an account?

Verified Answer
  • ok. I got it. It is the problem with CRM online its working fine for CRM onpremise.

While qualifying a lead in crm online, it creates all 3(acc, cont, and opp) but only if you have provided values for Topic, Last Name and Company in the lead.

If the value for company is not present in the lead, while qualifying it will not create account.

Its strange, as it is creating all 3 on its own. But working fine for on-premise

All Replies
  • Are you using process driven forms?

I am using the 'classic' Forms and facing no problem in that.

• I've tried with both, Process Driven and Classic Forms, as soon as I click "won", accounts get converted to "Contacts" and not "Accounts"; in fact I'm not given an option to select a conversion to accounts or contacts.

• I just tried on my CRM Online.

There has been a change, where you are no longer able to define what types of records you want to create when you Qualify the lead. Now it just creates accounts, contacts AND opportunities automaticly. Which is kind of a pain.

But it does create all 3 according to my test.

Rune Daub

Senior CRM Business Consultant and Partner

www.dynateam.dk

• The Problem with mine is that after I qualify, I see the account in Leads, I also see the account in Contacts but not In Accounts.

• As far as I know, Opportunity is always created on an Potential Customer. When we click on 'Close as won' for opportunity, it asks the status reason, actual revenue, close date etc. On the closure of opportunity, I have never got an option to convert it into contact or account.

I get the conversion option, when I qualify a lead.

It asks for the option of assigning Potential customer(Existing customer) to that lead OR create a new one.

In case we select the check boxes for account, contact and opportunity, it takes the data from Lead form and create the new account with name = Company Name, Contact = Last Name and opportunity with the topic on company name.

Hope it helps.

• We've migrated from CRM ON-Premise to CRM Online, so facing these business logic problems in the migration.

On CRM On-Premise, we were able to take a lead, then qualify that lead as a full account.

On CRM Online, when we qualify a lead, it gets qualified to a Contact not an Account.

We use the Lead stage to vet a new account before turning a potential lead into a fully fledged working account.

• ok. I got it. It is the problem with CRM online its working fine for CRM onpremise.

While qualifying a lead in crm online, it creates all 3(acc, cont, and opp) but only if you have provided values for Topic, Last Name and Company in the lead.

If the value for company is not present in the lead, while qualifying it will not create account.

Its strange, as it is creating all 3 on its own. But working fine for on-premise

• Thank you Kay that solved the problem; not adding the "Company Name to the Lead form messed things up.

I'm curious, where is all the documentation for this stuff?