Import data (|Dynamics CRM 2013 on premise) to Dynamics CRM 2015 online

Question Status

Verified
Jyoti Raju asked a question on 1 Jul 2015 11:34 AM

I have exported data from my Dynamics on premise environment 2013 and I am importing it into online 2015 version. I have exported it as a CSV file and importing it back as a CSV file. I am getting this error 'invalid argument'. I have also noticed the format of the fields is different (in the excel sheet). I am trying to avoid using Scribe. Is there another way I can achieve this or am I doing something wrong. I don't have a lot of data I need to export.

Please help

Verified Answer
Chitrarasan Duraisamy responded on 1 Jul 2015 12:37 PM

I would suggest to use ConfigurationMigration tool that comes as part of CRM SDK. THis tool is free and you can use this tool to export data from one organization and importing into another organization.

If you already downloaded CRM sdk this tool can be found under following folder SDK\Tools\ConfigurationMigration

Here is the link to download sdk

www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx

below psot shows how to use this tool

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn647421.aspx

Verified Answer
Abed Haniyah responded on 1 Jul 2015 4:19 PM

Hello Jyoti Raju,

Please take a look to this video : www.youtube.com/watch

Hope this helps,

Abed.

Jyoti Raju responded on 2 Jul 2015 10:25 AM

Thank you for the answer, I have read some more about this solution but it has its restrictions and it focuses more on bringing the customisations. I would simply like to bring just the data from on premise 2013  on to  online version 2015. If I upgrade my On premise version to 2015 would I be able to bring data from there into 2015 online?

Chitrarasan Duraisamy responded on 2 Jul 2015 10:38 AM

This tool  just moves  data from one organization to other , id does not move any solution. For example if you have crm 2015 on-premise with data you can move this data to crm 2015 online using this tool.

Jyoti Raju responded on 2 Jul 2015 10:45 AM

Thank you

That's what I am looking for, do you think it will work for 2013 - 2015?  Would you say this is the best way?

Jyoti

Chitrarasan Duraisamy responded on 2 Jul 2015 10:49 AM

It should work without any issue as long as source and target organizations contains same customization's. I used this tool in many crm implementation and it worked with out any issue.

Jyoti Raju responded on 2 Jul 2015 10:51 AM

Great thank you for your help I will try this out for my migration :)

Thanks

Jyoti

Jyoti Raju responded on 6 Jul 2015 11:23 AM

Hi Chitra,

I have used the tool to do what was required and it works very well. However I am having issues, My opportunities have all come up as Won but half of them have a status of closed, My entities are missing revenue/price figures and also missing closed dates of the opportunities. In some cases I have missing account records. Do you know why this could be. I have exported the default solution.

Thanks

Jyoti

Chitrarasan Duraisamy responded on 6 Jul 2015 11:38 AM

If any error occurred during data import , system would have shown that. Did you see any warning or failure message during data import?

Jyoti Raju responded on 7 Jul 2015 3:29 AM

There was no major error message while exporting and importing, so I cant get why it has done that.

Jyoti

Jyoti Raju responded on 7 Jul 2015 11:23 AM

I have the copied some of the error log , you may be able to understand. I  couldn't find why the import didn't populated the revenue fields for all the entities.

3:40 PM Progress Event - Result: True - Entity: unknown - Processing Opportunity Close (threaded), Imported 0 of 183

3:40 PM ImportEntity - Result: False - Entity: Opportunity Close - Missing Compare key for current entity Opportunity Close, missing subject

3:40 PM ImportEntity - Result: False - Entity: Opportunity Close - Missing Compare key for current entity Opportunity Close, missing subject

3:40 PM CreateSpecialCrmRecordType - Result: False - Entity: opportunity - Failed to create CRM special record for opportunity using opportunityid Error : Opportunity Close

3:40 PM CreateSpecialCrmRecordType - Result: False - Entity: opportunity - Failed to create CRM special record for opportunity using opportunityid Error : Opportunity Close

3:38 PM Progress Event - Result: True - Entity: unknown - Processing Post (threaded), Imported 0 of 1166

3:38 PM ImportEntity - Result: False - Entity: Post - Missing Compare key for current entity Post, missing text

3:38 PM ImportEntity - Result: False - Entity: Post - Missing Compare key for current entity Post, missing text

3:38 PM Insert Record - Result: False - Entity: post - Insert to post FAILED with Error : An unexpected error occurred.

3:38 PM Insert Record - Result: False - Entity: post - Insert to post FAILED with Error : An unexpected error occurred.

Chitrarasan Duraisamy responded on 7 Jul 2015 11:52 AM

It looks issue appeared to be with closing the opportunity. It seems soem related information is missing while closing the opportunity.

Jyoti Raju responded on 7 Jul 2015 1:22 PM

Do you know why that is occurring ?

Verified Answer
Chitrarasan Duraisamy responded on 1 Jul 2015 12:37 PM

I would suggest to use ConfigurationMigration tool that comes as part of CRM SDK. THis tool is free and you can use this tool to export data from one organization and importing into another organization.

If you already downloaded CRM sdk this tool can be found under following folder SDK\Tools\ConfigurationMigration

Here is the link to download sdk

www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx

below psot shows how to use this tool

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn647421.aspx

Verified Answer
Abed Haniyah responded on 1 Jul 2015 4:19 PM

Hello Jyoti Raju,

Please take a look to this video : www.youtube.com/watch

Hope this helps,

Abed.