SBX - Search With Button

SBX - Forum Post Title

Portals

Microsoft Dynamics CRM Forum

jsteelecrm asked a question on 28 Jun 2017 12:01 PM
My Badges

Question Status

Suggested Answer

Does anyone have a link to useful guides on portals? I'm getting a little confused between the CRM portals I can see in my Dynamics 365 applications that I can choose to install and ADXstudio portals that I now understand are owned by Microsoft. So they have 2 different portal solutions? Will they be getting rid of one of them? If you can get one free with Dynamics 365, why would you then buy an ADX one?

I am researching into the capabilities of both. 2 key requirements for my organisation are

1) To use a custom open id authentication method. i.e. not google, microsoft or facebook.

2) When people log in to the portal, if the information in CRM indicates they are a member, then they should be able to access special member content across the rest of our website. I presume that somehow this could be handled by creating a session. Once you login on the portal, if you then navigate around the rest of our website, for the remainder of that session you will carry a token with you and this will allow navigation to "member" pages.

Thanks for any info you can provide or point me to. Obviously ADX is a good resource but will obviously be a bit biased about capabilities. 

Guido Preite responded on 28 Jun 2017 12:13 PM
My Badges

Microsoft Portals is the version released after Microsoft bought ADX Studio. Latest version of ADX Studio portal was the 7.x and the Microsoft Portals is considered v8. ADX Studio Portals are not available anymore for purchase, currently there is only Microsoft Portals and as you know it is included with your Dynamics 365 subscription

Andreas Cieslik responded on 28 Jun 2017 2:44 PM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

Your can find documentation / guide for Dynamics Portals here:

go.microsoft.com/.../p

The same guide contains Information of how to user other authentication providers, what types are supported and how it is possible to use ADFS WS Federation which could enable you to configure on authentication bearer / claims tokens  

Kunal Tripathy responded on 30 Jun 2017 6:00 PM
My Badges

I agree , sometimes  this can be little confusing , In order to understand different flavors of Portal options and limitation refer to : https://www.adoxio.com/xRM-Portals-Community-Edition/

On your other queries:

1. To use a custom open id authentication method. i.e. not google, microsoft or facebook. : Portals support Open ID Connect authentication, https://community.adxstudio.com/products/adxstudio-portals/documentation/configuration-guide/portal-authentication/asp.net-identity-authentication/open-id-connect-provider-settings/

2) When people log in to the portal, if the information in CRM indicates they are a member, then they should be able to access special member content across the rest of our website. I presume that somehow this could be handled by creating a session. Once you login on the portal, if you then navigate around the rest of our website, for the remainder of that session you will carry a token with you and this will allow navigation to "member" pages.

In order to restrict or provide Role based access to user, Webroles and entity permissions are to be used.

Maulik Shah responded on 15 May 2019 6:55 AM
My Badges

You can stay connected with your customers at all times and make your connection a productive one through Microsoft Dynamics CRM - one of the most popular CRM tools! You can check more about Dynamics portals from here: Dynamics CRM customer portal in App Source. You can add all your CRM contacts to the CRM Portal and manage them by assigning diverse roles and communicate without the hassle of emails or calls. Portal' s ticketing system saves a lot of your time.

Pranav Shroti responded on 15 May 2019 7:16 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

CRM Portals is the way forward. Going forward CRM Portals will be the only option available and they are hosted online. On Prem option will no longer will be available.

Below are few links

crmbook.powerobjects.com/.../portal-options-and-considerations

docs.microsoft.com/.../configure-portal

us.hitachi-solutions.com/.../dynamics-365-portals-why-you-need-them-and-how-to-try-them-for-free

Andreas Cieslik responded on 28 Jun 2017 2:44 PM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

Your can find documentation / guide for Dynamics Portals here:

go.microsoft.com/.../p

The same guide contains Information of how to user other authentication providers, what types are supported and how it is possible to use ADFS WS Federation which could enable you to configure on authentication bearer / claims tokens  

Pranav Shroti responded on 15 May 2019 7:16 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

CRM Portals is the way forward. Going forward CRM Portals will be the only option available and they are hosted online. On Prem option will no longer will be available.

Below are few links

crmbook.powerobjects.com/.../portal-options-and-considerations

docs.microsoft.com/.../configure-portal

us.hitachi-solutions.com/.../dynamics-365-portals-why-you-need-them-and-how-to-try-them-for-free

SBX - Two Col Forum

SBX - Migrated JS