SBX - Search With Button

SBX - Forum Post Title

Extending Portal CMS

Microsoft Dynamics CRM Forum

Lee Scane asked a question on 29 Oct 2018 7:08 AM

Question Status

Suggested Answer

Does anybody have or know of where I can find any documentation relating to portals CMS.  I've looked everywhere without any success and would really like to extend our web portal CMS?

Thanks

Lee 

Pranav Shroti responded on 29 Oct 2018 7:12 AM
My Badges

Hi, can you please elaborate a bit about what you are looking for.  CMS- content management systems portal can be CRM Portal or SharePoint portal as well.

Regards,

Pranav

Lee Scane responded on 29 Oct 2018 7:46 AM

Thanks for reaching out, we currently have adxstudio portals ver: 7.0.0021 hooked up to dynamics 2015 on-prem.  I would really like to extend the content management system and have been unable to find any documentation relating to this.  I can see that ver: 8.0 (one time release) has some (CMS) references in its codebase but again nothing has been documented to support this?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Lee

Nicholas Hayduk responded on 29 Oct 2018 12:24 PM
My Badges

Hi Lee,

There aren't many documented/supported ways of extending the CMS capabilities that I'm aware of.  In v7 you could make custom entities and fields front-side editable, but not much else in terms of extending the CMS.

Since a lot of it is being done client-side, I suppose you could hack some things together, but you won't find any documentation on that.

If you could provide some specifics on what you're trying to do, I might be able to offer some advice.

Nick

Lee Scane responded on 30 Oct 2018 3:43 PM

Hey Nick,

Thank you very much for your response, thats kind of what already thought really as I've been searching for some time now but with no success.

For the time being thats all I really want is to be able expose some custom entity's/field's through the frontside editor but I was not aware this could be done in v7 without applying some pretty awful hacks and so I would be intrested to gain an insight into any experience you've had of implementing this and what the best approach might be.

Thanks

Lee  

Ravi Kashyap responded on 31 Oct 2018 4:47 AM

Hi Leee,

Have you seen this documentation?

community.adxstudio.com/.../configuration-guide

Hope this helps.

Lee Scane responded on 31 Oct 2018 11:24 AM

Hey Ravi,

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I guess my question is more around custom development around the clientside CMS frontside editor (exposing custom entities and fields) but can't seem to find anything relating to this and seem to be having trouble finding any additional information as to the feasability of this even being possible, we are currently using v7 adxstudio with an on-premise instance of CRM 2015.

Any help in this are would be very much appricated.

Thanks in advance Ravi.

Lee

Ravi Kashyap responded on 31 Oct 2018 5:37 PM
Suggested Answer

Hi Lee,

To expose custom entities field, you need to configure the required forms in CRM. I do not have experience in v7 but believes that the core concept is same. Which is , create an entity form in CRM, add that entity form to a web page and then expose that web page in primary navigation.

Try this and let us know how you go. The link I shared above has details about creating entity form etc.

Hope this helps.

Lee Scane responded on 1 Nov 2018 3:59 AM

Thanks again Ravi,

Please see the frontside editor screenshot above as this is what I would like to extend and would love to know if anyone has any experience of adding additional custom fields so that they are exposed within the clientside CMS editor.  

Hopfully thats a bit clearer.

Cheers

Lee

Ravi Kashyap responded on 1 Nov 2018 5:33 AM
Suggested Answer

I dont think it is possible to expose entities just from cms. It is used to edit the elements which are available for editing like content snippet etc.

Nicholas Hayduk responded on 2 Nov 2018 7:58 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

Hi Lee,

Sorry for the slow response - it's been a crazy week!

One extension point with the CMS capabilities is the abilities to allow front-side editing of attributes on custom entities.  This technique won't enable the creation of entities - just the editing of existing ones.

To do this, the first step is to create a custom security provider, as documented here:

https://community.adxstudio.com/products/adxstudio-portals/documentation/developers-guide/knowledge-base/customize-the-security-provider/

Next, use the <adx:Property> control to put the field on the page, and set the EditType attribute as you want.  You'll need to have an <crm:CrmEntityDataSource> control that points to your custom entity as well.

If your security provider is properly setup to allow edit rights on the entity that the CrmEntityDataSource is pointing at, you'll see the front-side editing capabilities light up.

Hope that Helps.

Nick

Lee Scane responded on 7 Jan 2019 3:02 AM

Hey Nick,

Happy new year to you, I trust you had a good festive break?

My sincere apoligise for not getting back to you sooner regarding your response above, I've only just managed to get my head back into this and will try and replicate you steps sometime this week and feed back my findings?

Again, thank you very much for your time on this.

I'll get back to you soon.

Cheers

Lee  

Ravi Kashyap responded on 31 Oct 2018 5:37 PM
Suggested Answer

Hi Lee,

To expose custom entities field, you need to configure the required forms in CRM. I do not have experience in v7 but believes that the core concept is same. Which is , create an entity form in CRM, add that entity form to a web page and then expose that web page in primary navigation.

Try this and let us know how you go. The link I shared above has details about creating entity form etc.

Hope this helps.

Ravi Kashyap responded on 1 Nov 2018 5:33 AM
Suggested Answer

I dont think it is possible to expose entities just from cms. It is used to edit the elements which are available for editing like content snippet etc.

Nicholas Hayduk responded on 2 Nov 2018 7:58 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

Hi Lee,

Sorry for the slow response - it's been a crazy week!

One extension point with the CMS capabilities is the abilities to allow front-side editing of attributes on custom entities.  This technique won't enable the creation of entities - just the editing of existing ones.

To do this, the first step is to create a custom security provider, as documented here:

https://community.adxstudio.com/products/adxstudio-portals/documentation/developers-guide/knowledge-base/customize-the-security-provider/

Next, use the <adx:Property> control to put the field on the page, and set the EditType attribute as you want.  You'll need to have an <crm:CrmEntityDataSource> control that points to your custom entity as well.

If your security provider is properly setup to allow edit rights on the entity that the CrmEntityDataSource is pointing at, you'll see the front-side editing capabilities light up.

Hope that Helps.

Nick

SBX - Two Col Forum

SBX - Migrated JS