SBX - Search With Button

SBX - Forum Post Title

WCf service error:

Microsoft Dynamics CRM Forum

Matt_Hirst_UK asked a question on 7 May 2019 7:13 AM

Question Status

Suggested Answer

I have written a service that retrieves postcode data, it is currently working fine on a Dynamics crm system 2011 ru18.  I need to run this on a seperate system, Dynamics CRM 2011 ru11, transferred it all across but all I receive is Error: when trying to run it.

Am inclined to think there is a permissions issue to the WCF service, however what is the best route to debug this service - I've tried using F12 and then get totally lost as to what I need to do - anybody help?

Matt

Suggested Answer

Hi

If your WCF service talks to CRM and fails, you could try the following to get to the actual error message

01. Enable WCF tracing,  and use the trace viewer, please see below

docs.microsoft.com/.../configuring-tracing

docs.microsoft.com/.../service-trace-viewer-tool-svctraceviewer-exe

02. You can enable tracing in CRM and check the logs

You can enable tracing using the following tool

archive.codeplex.com

Download the archive, unzip, under the releases folder, rename the file inside the folder 5 to .zip and unzip this to get the actual exe. Copy this across to crm server an run and enable trace

And you can use the traced reader to identify the error easily

archive.codeplex.com

Download the archive, unzip the file, under the releases folder, rename the file in folder 3 to .exe and this is the reader application. Copy this across to CRM server to read the trace file

Make sure you disable the tracing once you done the debugging as it will be logging a lot of data and might quickly fill up the server hard disk

Suggested Answer

As you wrote the service , so better to write some logs each line which you feel may cause the issue  and then deploy the environment . I hope you did proper error handling with try catch in your WCF service . Deploy the service and check the log . You should get the point where its failing.

If its CRM related issue then you can simply debug WCF service from your local machine using Visual Studio WCF client  , make sure you are pointing the environment where its failing .

Matt_Hirst_UK responded on 7 May 2019 9:53 AM

Have got it debugging now, gone a little bit further and the error is DOMParser' is undefined at line var parser = new DOMParser();

Am a little lost now as  i think it's pointing to an incompatibility with the ru version rather than ie version?

Matt

Suggested Answer

Hi

If your WCF service talks to CRM and fails, you could try the following to get to the actual error message

01. Enable WCF tracing,  and use the trace viewer, please see below

docs.microsoft.com/.../configuring-tracing

docs.microsoft.com/.../service-trace-viewer-tool-svctraceviewer-exe

02. You can enable tracing in CRM and check the logs

You can enable tracing using the following tool

archive.codeplex.com

Download the archive, unzip, under the releases folder, rename the file inside the folder 5 to .zip and unzip this to get the actual exe. Copy this across to crm server an run and enable trace

And you can use the traced reader to identify the error easily

archive.codeplex.com

Download the archive, unzip the file, under the releases folder, rename the file in folder 3 to .exe and this is the reader application. Copy this across to CRM server to read the trace file

Make sure you disable the tracing once you done the debugging as it will be logging a lot of data and might quickly fill up the server hard disk

Suggested Answer

As you wrote the service , so better to write some logs each line which you feel may cause the issue  and then deploy the environment . I hope you did proper error handling with try catch in your WCF service . Deploy the service and check the log . You should get the point where its failing.

If its CRM related issue then you can simply debug WCF service from your local machine using Visual Studio WCF client  , make sure you are pointing the environment where its failing .

SBX - Two Col Forum

SBX - Migrated JS