SBX - Search With Button

SBX - Forum Post Title

Duplicate Detection in Workflows

Microsoft Dynamics CRM Forum

gmcgregor asked a question on 14 May 2019 10:22 AM

Question Status

Verified

In our implementation, contacts can join committees and sub-committees based on interest. I am trying to create a workflow where when a contact is added to one of the sub-committees, they are added to the main committee as well. Usually our duplicate detection would catch adding a person to a committee twice, but the workflow is bypassing our duplicate detection.

How can I work duplicate detection into a workflow? 

Ravi Kashyap responded on 14 May 2019 8:41 PM
Verified Answer

Hi,

The duplicate detection won't work within the workflows. You will need to create your own custom workflow activity which take the Contact as input and check if there are any duplicates as per your logic. Even the out of box, duplicate detection doesn't restrict the creation, it just prmpts you that there are duplicate but you can by pass that and still save a record.

The better way is to go for alternate keys as this will retrict the duplicate from everywhere, manual, workflow, import data etc.

crmtipoftheday.com/.../prevent-duplicate-contacts-the-viking-way

subscription.packtpub.com/.../duplicate-detection-using-alternate-keys

community.dynamics.com/.../d365-alternate-keys-for-duplicate-detection

Hope this helps.

gmcgregor responded on 17 May 2019 1:13 PM

Thank you! Keys were a little finicky but I was able to get them to work.

Ravi Kashyap responded on 14 May 2019 8:41 PM
Verified Answer

Hi,

The duplicate detection won't work within the workflows. You will need to create your own custom workflow activity which take the Contact as input and check if there are any duplicates as per your logic. Even the out of box, duplicate detection doesn't restrict the creation, it just prmpts you that there are duplicate but you can by pass that and still save a record.

The better way is to go for alternate keys as this will retrict the duplicate from everywhere, manual, workflow, import data etc.

crmtipoftheday.com/.../prevent-duplicate-contacts-the-viking-way

subscription.packtpub.com/.../duplicate-detection-using-alternate-keys

community.dynamics.com/.../d365-alternate-keys-for-duplicate-detection

Hope this helps.

SBX - Two Col Forum

SBX - Migrated JS