SBX - Search With Button

SBX - Forum Post Title

Use Tracking Category to trigger workflow

Microsoft Dynamics CRM Forum

Delph0301 asked a question on 15 May 2019 7:59 AM

Question Status

Verified

With the new 'Tracked in CRM' category in Outlook, is there any way to trigger a workflow when an appointment is tracked?  Specifically, I would like to be able to update a field on the contact record(s) of any external attendees (to capture the meeting date).  Is this possible out of the box?  Previously we used 'Set Regarding' as the trigger to create the appointment under the attendees' Contact record which would then update a field on the record but as this involved applying set regarding to each individual appointment it was not a particularly quick process (plus the introduction of server-side sync meant we could no longer apply the set regarding on other people's calendars...).

Having had a root around I am guessing this is unlikely but would like to stand corrected if there is a solution out there!  Many thanks 

Suggested Answer

Hi

This is something I have not tested but appointment entity has a field called : GlobalObjectId

GlobalObjectId : Shows the ID of the appointment in Microsoft Office Outlook. The ID is used to synchronise the appointment between Microsoft Dynamics 365 and the correct Exchange account.

I assume if this field has a value that appointment comes from outlook.  So you should be able to deal with the field change or record event and check if this field has value and then execute your logic?

Delph0301 responded on 16 May 2019 4:20 AM

Hi - thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately it looks like GlobalObjectId is a non-searchable field so it doesn't appear in my workflow fields... I can't see a way of making it visible (that part of the field is non-editable).

I thought I could perhaps add a roll-up field to the form instead to capture the tracked appointment date but again, without first doing a set regarding against each attendee, the roll-up won't work.

Anything that might work outside of a standard workflow?

Verified Answer

You could certainly look into creating a Custom Workflow Activity and Check the GlobalObjectId  field.

Please see the props of the GlobalObjectId  field, you can certainly read or even update

Delph0301 responded on 22 May 2019 4:58 AM

Thank you, I will give that a try!

Verified Answer

You could certainly look into creating a Custom Workflow Activity and Check the GlobalObjectId  field.

Please see the props of the GlobalObjectId  field, you can certainly read or even update

Suggested Answer

Hi

This is something I have not tested but appointment entity has a field called : GlobalObjectId

GlobalObjectId : Shows the ID of the appointment in Microsoft Office Outlook. The ID is used to synchronise the appointment between Microsoft Dynamics 365 and the correct Exchange account.

I assume if this field has a value that appointment comes from outlook.  So you should be able to deal with the field change or record event and check if this field has value and then execute your logic?

SBX - Two Col Forum

SBX - Migrated JS