SBX - Forum Post Title

Best way to migrate Activity entities Record from an excel file

Microsoft Dynamics CRM Forum

Boss Onye asked a question on 23 May 2019 6:18 AM
My Badges

Question Status

Suggested Answer

Hi All,

Is there a best possible way to migrate data from a CSV file into Dynamics?. I have tried using kingswaysoft, but its not just working out. Anyone out there can recommend best possible option to migrate ACtivity entities into dynamics ?

Suggested Answer

Hi,

The best way is to use console application to create these activities from CSV file to CRM. Please make sure that you have all the records present in the system to which these activities are related if any.

Please mark this answer as verified, if found useful.

If your import has complex mapping and you want to have full control over how it's imported, you could consider writing a script, possibly as a console app or linqpad script or even using the XrmToolBox plugin Code Now.

Please follow the link below to see how you could programmatically import from CSV to Dynamics 365

docs.microsoft.com/.../sample-import-data-complex-data-map

community.dynamics.com/.../287384

Pravin Pawar responded on 24 May 2019 1:07 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

Hi,

I would suggest you to create console application. Using console application you can easily map fields with excel columns.

Boss Onye responded on 24 May 2019 3:57 AM
My Badges

Thank you, would do this today.

Boss Onye responded on 24 May 2019 4:46 AM
My Badges

is it as easy in activity entities though ??

Boss Onye responded on 24 May 2019 4:47 AM
My Badges

, te example uses easily mapped entitiy like account, its a different ball game when dealing with PartyList and all ??

Boss Onye responded on 24 May 2019 4:52 AM
My Badges

Hi  can you direct me to a sample that uses an activity entity ??

Daniel Cai responded on 24 May 2019 8:02 AM
My Badges

Question for the OP, in what reason do you believe KingswaySoft is not working out for you? Have you followed the format that we have documented at https://www.kingswaysoft.com/products/ssis-integration-toolkit-for-microsoft-dynamics-365/faq#WriteToPartyList

ActivityParty field requires you to specify the party type in entity name, and then the GUID. We support both delimited text and JSON data format as the input, which gives you the ultimate flexibility. 

Can you check the link that I shared above and let me know if you still have questions?

Boss Onye responded on 24 May 2019 9:49 AM
My Badges

@Danielcai that's the problem, for an email entity with over 10 party list in the Cc and To, and over 1000, using csv file, how can state the name of the entity and then guid of each party list? Its a lot of work and it's also failing.

Daniel Cai responded on 25 May 2019 7:44 AM
My Badges

Why would you have to use an .csv file as the source? You keep saying it is not working but you don't even have a proper input for the software. Neither do I see any patience in actually trying to solve the problem. 

Boss Onye responded on 25 May 2019 8:38 AM
My Badges

@Daniel Cai, please advise better, that's why I posted the question. It's in a CSV file because the data is on a spreadsheet.

Daniel Cai responded on 26 May 2019 10:21 PM
My Badges

In order to better assist you, I need to know what data format you have in your source file (the Excel file) for those activity party fields.

Suggested Answer

Hi,

There are several links and developer guides to create an activity. It depends on CSV data which will need mapping to activity standard fields.

Please refer to the following:

community.dynamics.com/.../simple-dynamics-crm-console-application

Daniel Cai responded on 27 May 2019 9:05 AM
My Badges

Come on folks, writing a console application to do a full-scale migration is not a trivial job. Find a different way to help if you want to be helpful in this community forum, or otherwise provide a full working sample code that demonstrates the resolution to the problem.

Boss Onye responded on 27 May 2019 5:05 PM
My Badges

single line of at least four PartyList in the Bcc &  Ccc

Suggested Answer

Hi,

The best way is to use console application to create these activities from CSV file to CRM. Please make sure that you have all the records present in the system to which these activities are related if any.

Pravin Pawar responded on 24 May 2019 1:07 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

Hi,

I would suggest you to create console application. Using console application you can easily map fields with excel columns.

Suggested Answer

Hi,

There are several links and developer guides to create an activity. It depends on CSV data which will need mapping to activity standard fields.

Please refer to the following:

community.dynamics.com/.../simple-dynamics-crm-console-application

SBX - Two Col Forum

SBX - Migrated JS