Breaking news from around the world
Get the Bing + MSN extension
Choose your path Increase your proficiency with the Dynamics 365 applications that you already use and learn more about the apps that interest you. Up your game with a learning path tailored to today's Dynamics 365 masterminds and designed to prepare you for industry-recognized Microsoft certifications.
Visit Microsoft Learn
2019 release wave 2 Discover the latest updates and new features to Dynamics 365 planned through March 2020
Release overview guides and videos Release Plan | View virtual launch event
Ace your Dynamics 365 deployment with packaged services delivered by expert consultants. | Explore service offerings
Connect with the ISV success team on the latest roadmap, developer tool for AppSource certification, and ISV community engagements | ISV self-service portal
The FastTrack program is designed to help you accelerate your Dynamics 365 deployment with confidence.
FastTrack Program | Finance TechTalks | Customer Engagement TechTalks | Talent TechTalks | Upcoming TechTalks
I have a managed solution deployed in customer place, we had a "Single Line text" field in a custom entity, now we want to change the field type to "Multi line text" due to character limit.
how can we achieve this, without effect on schema
You cannot change the type of field after its creation.there is only one way is to create new field.
Yes, there is no way to change the data type of a field once it is created.
Only solution is to create a new field.
You cannot do this as Dynamics CRM does not allow to change the field datatype after field creation.
Create a new singleline text filed and copy data from your existing filed to new filed.
Create a on demand workflow or console app,or xrm toolbox bulk update tool to update all records.
now delete the old filed and create a multi line text filed. You can use the same schema name.
There will not be any other impacts on existing customization.
Now copy the data from your dummy filed to the text field.
1) Create a new solution to add the dummy filed to the entity and do a managed deployment to the solution.
2) Perform the Data copy from the existing filed to the dummy filed
3) Create a new clone of the solution in the develop environment and remove the filed dependency from all forms, views etc. If the filed is existing in multiple solutions then it must removed from all solutions. Remove the filed from all cloned solutions
4) new deploy all solutions to the target environment as managed
5) Uninstall all old dependent solutions
6) This will remove the filed from the target environment
7) Now Increase the version number of the solution in development environment and create a new filed as multi line text and restore all removed customization
8) deploy the solution to the target environment
9) perform a data copy from dummy to the new filed
10) Uninstall the dummy filed solution from the target environment
There is a tool in Xrm Toolbox to update the type of an attribute.
Hope this helps.
Business Applications communities