Personalized Community is here!
Quickly customize your community to find the content you seek.
Have questions on moving to the cloud? Visit the Dynamics 365 Migration Community today! Microsoft’s extensive network of Dynamics AX and Dynamics CRM experts can help.
2021 Release Wave 2Discover the latest updates and new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.
2021 release wave 2 plan
The FastTrack program is designed to help you accelerate your Dynamics 365 deployment with confidence.
FastTrack Program | Finance and Operations TechTalks | Customer Engagement TechTalks | Upcoming TechTalks | All TechTalks
We have just moved over to Dynamics 365 and I'd like to import a spreadsheet of phone calls from our previous system. I'm having problems resolving the Call From, Call To and Regarding fields and wonder if you could please help.
Firstly, I downloaded the Phone Calls template from Settings > Data Management > Templates for Data ImportI then filled in the fields as attached and tried to re-import using Settings > Data Management > Imports
However, the fields mentioned above will not resolve. The numbers shown in these fields on the spreadsheet are unique serial numbers that relate to contacts in CRM. For example, 51279 shown in the spreadsheet is the unique serial number of our head office. So, for the first line I'm saying that serial number 39133 called our head office (51279) and the call was regarding 39133.
I assume this has something to do with mapping, but I'm unable to map when I try the re-import as shown above (I don't get an option).
Any help would be appreciated, especially since I have around 7000 if these things to get in CRM!
The Call From, Call To, and Regarding are Lookup fieldtypes. Just a few points for clarification:
1) The data in these Lookups need to match the names of records already existing in D365
2) Are you using Advanced Settings > Data Management > Imports > and the Import Data button in the command bar?
3) if you are using that wizard, you get a choice to map after the Review File Upload Summary as long as the file type you're uploading is CSV (I try to make it a rule to always upload as CSV as there are often nagging issues with xls and xlsx imports)
4) in the mapping tool you'll also be able to select which field the information maps to for the related lookup (just as an FYI)
Hey, many thanks for your reply. Here's my answers:
1) I'm using the unique serial numbers simply because I can't use names. Our CRM could hold 20+ Sarah Smith's, so it wouldn't know which contact to add the Phone Call to if I used names. Am I not able to use unique serial numbers?
2) Yes, I'm trying to import that way
3) Great, yes I can see that
4) The problem I now have is that I map the Call From field to the SerialID field in the Contact Entity, map the Call To field to the Org-ID field in the Organisation Entity - but then I need to map the Regarding field t to tje SerialID field on the Contact Entity, but I can't because I've already used it. Is there any way to get around this? Do I HAVE to map the Regarding field?
the Call To and Call From lookups function like the Regarding. If your end goal is to just show this data in the Organization and Contact tables, this will be accomplished already. Regarding is not a required field
Thanks again. I've got as far as mapping some of the fields, but have some of them unmapped as per the image below. These unmapped fields don't exist in the Contact or Organisation entity, but I don't seem able to bring in another entity. If I attempt import as is then I don't see any imported Phone Calls in the Timeline:
As you are importing Phone Calls, you'll want to set the Record Type to Phone calls. You'll then get the Call To and Call From fields which you can then relate to the appropriate tables/columns.
Next to the Call To and Call From rows you'll see a little page with magnifying glass icon. You'll click this to get more specific as to the columns/tables you want to lookup to. I'd recommend making any missing columns in a custom solution first.
Thank you - I'm getting closer now! However, when I try to import I'm now getting the error "A duplicate lookup reference was found". I'm assuming this relates to the Call To field showing 51279 which appears 5 times (simply because all 5 phone calls have been made to them). I've even chosen "Allow duplicates" but this doesn't seem to help.
It usually means that for the Table that has the 51279 record, there are two records with that reference number. If I understand correctly, 51279 is in the Organization table, could you double check that there is only one record in that table by that name. Also, have you restricted the Call To to the Contact and Organization tables and also restrict the lookup to the field/column that contains those number 51279, 39133, etc.?
Fantastic, thank you. For some bizarre reason, there were multiple Orgs with that name in CRM. All sorted now. Thanks so much.
Awesome! Congrats, you've successfully mapped an import sheet.
Please mark the suggestion as Answered if you felt this helped. :)
Business Applications communities