Is Suggested Answer misused?

• Conor Gallagher posted on 17 Jun 2016 10:20 AM

I regularly see this on the Microsoft CRM forum, but would be interested in hearing other opinions. I regularly see suggested answers where the post is blatantly not an answer, or is wildly incorrect. I don't want to start pointing the finger at threads, but you will often see somebody ask questions, e.g. looking for more information, or looking for traces, and they mark their post as a suggested answer. It happens just too often to consider it a mistake! Because of it I find myself spending more time on Stack Exchange, because at least bad answers get downvoted there. 

Is it time to remove the power of suggested answer from us mere users/contributors? I hate to put work on you guys... but I think this is a feature that should be left in the more reliable hands of the moderators!

• Guido Preite responded on 21 Jun 2016 3:04 AM

in my opinion it's misused because there is a leaderboard associated to it, nothing less nothing more.

Some people like more the "gamification" part of the community.

• Conor Gallagher responded on 21 Jun 2016 4:31 AM

I didn't even know about that leaderboard. In fact, I didn't even know about leaderboards until now!

Completely agree with your point about "gamification" as you put it. Although I think this aspect of the community does encourage people to get involved and answer questions, I think this particular leaderboard encourages unfortunate misuse like this.

A better model would be a voting system. Your proposed answers are weighted on how many likes you get rather than an inaccurate leaderboard like the one we currently have. Also, how about an "unhelpful" or "down vote" button so that unhelpful proposed answers count negatively towards the leaderboard.

Something simple like that would remove the need to moderate it too.

• Guido Preite responded on 21 Jun 2016 5:03 AM

is not the first time that this kind of discussion appears here, the main problem with the downvote system (as stackoverflow, I'm a user also there) is that people will start to write replies asking "why my answer got downvoted?" "who downvoted me?", etc etc (this phenomenon is present also on StackOverflow, but there normally comments are used to express this)

There is space for improving of course, but at least you can see right away the confirmed answers (because are green) and about the users that always put their answers as suggested, I'm in this forum for some years now, and I noticed that after some months they get bored and they don't participate anymore (also because the "gamification" effect disappears because proposing every single answer you get very few confirmed, especially when the answer consists of the first google link based on the question)

• Conor Gallagher responded on 21 Jun 2016 5:16 AM

Fair point about the down vote, I see that a fair bit on stack exchange myself too.

I guess it's just a tad annoying when you are looking at a list of questions with proposed answers and it isnt informative. Because you don't know which have proper proposed answers and which have "fake" proposed answers. So you just have to open up every question anyway.

Links as answers are another pet hate of mine. Links often prove worthless in terms of site history. If I had a pound for every time I find an accepted answer on here with just a link to a blog from a couple of years back and the link no longer works... Well, I'd probably have 50 quid anyway...

• Crispin John Augustine responded on 9 Mar 2017 8:03 AM

I don't find 'Suggested answer' quite helpful. Having used this forum extensively to search for answers to questions/problems, I am currently contributing to the forum by providing answers wherever I can. But this feature mostly impacts the user who is searching for answers.

When there is a post with 15 comments, and 1 verified answer marked in 'green', it's easy to spot the right answer and take it. But there are posts with 15 comments, 10 suggested answers, (sometimes with/without verified answers). So I read all suggested answers, but there is no confirmation if that indeed is the right answer. In short, my question is still not answered.

• AJ Ansari responded on 4 Apr 2017 1:18 AM

I agree with Conor. Suggested Answers should just be removed altogether. And having a leaderboard for it further convolutes things.

Just allow the original poster to verify an answer when she/he sees fit, or allow moderators to verify an answer that they deem is correct.