SBX - Search With Button

SBX - Forum Post Title

What's the difference between a standard feature and Configuration

Microsoft Dynamics Sure Step

Johan Karlsson asked a question on 3 Jun 2015 3:45 AM
My Badges

Question Status

Verified

What is the difference between a standard feature and configuration in the Fit/Gap analysis worksheat?

Regards Johan

Suggested Answer

Hi Johan,

A standard feature is e.g. posting a general journal or printing a customer account statement report. You don't have to configure or customize anything to make it work. A configuration might require additional setup to get a certain behavior in the system. An example is configuring the workflow, setting a parameter or setup a certain group table to be able to report on certain groups.

Johan Karlsson responded on 15 Jun 2015 6:56 AM
My Badges

Hi André,

Thanks for your answer, that's what I thought myself. But then you have this workflow category as it's own in the Fit/GAP worksheet, and you always have to do some configuration in order to get the system to work. It would be interesting to know what Microsoft has to say about this.

Verified Answer

Hi Johan,

The workflow was an easy example of a cofiguration. Indeed during answering I forgot that it is now a separate category.

Let's take another example: to meet local requirements you need to setup = configure sales tax.

Also you can configure e.g. financial statements to have a certain reporting requirement fulfilled if standard reports are not sufficient.

Johan Karlsson responded on 17 Jun 2015 3:47 AM
My Badges

Hi André,

I totally agree with you what you are saying. I just think that it would be good if Microsoft once and for all could clarify that in the Fit/Gap template.

Kind Regards

Johan

Verified Answer

Hi Johan,

The workflow was an easy example of a cofiguration. Indeed during answering I forgot that it is now a separate category.

Let's take another example: to meet local requirements you need to setup = configure sales tax.

Also you can configure e.g. financial statements to have a certain reporting requirement fulfilled if standard reports are not sufficient.

Suggested Answer

Hi Johan,

A standard feature is e.g. posting a general journal or printing a customer account statement report. You don't have to configure or customize anything to make it work. A configuration might require additional setup to get a certain behavior in the system. An example is configuring the workflow, setting a parameter or setup a certain group table to be able to report on certain groups.

SBX - Two Col Forum

SBX - Migrated JS