Skip to main content

Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Dynamics 365 Community / Forums / Guides forum / Make the Guide "R...
Guides forum
Answered

Make the Guide "Read Only" For Everyone

Posted on by 5

I want to use Guides for inspection.

But base on ISO for quality manual (like ISO 9001, ISO 13485), I must make sure the operator uses the right Guides just for the Model they have. And keep all the Guides we used for inspection for like 15 years.

And once the Guide become official, operator start to uses it for inspection, and NO BODY will be able change it. But Creative a new one based on the old one.

Is there any way to make sure the Guide can be unable to change, but able to used by operator.

Categories:
  • Suggested answer
    Qingmeng Profile Picture
    Qingmeng 5 on at
    RE: Make the Guide "Read Only" For Everyone

Thank you so much.

And sorry for the delay in my response.

I try it Yesterday, it works perfectly well.

• Verified answer
    Andrew.G Profile Picture
    Andrew.G 310 on at
    RE: Make the Guide "Read Only" For Everyone

Hello Qingmeng,

We actually had to do something is similar to your request for one of our clients. Here is some information that might be useful for you!

In order to make a specific Guide "read only" you will need to make some administration changes to how your Authors are setup. Users with Operator only roles are unable to modify Guides in any way already so you should not need to make any changes to your Operator roles in order to make a Guide "read only" as for Operator only roles this is already the case.

For Authors, you will need to convert all your Authors to "restricted Author" roles. This allows you to block access to the Guide for Authors so that they cannot modify it in anyway unless it is specifically shared with them via the Dynamics Power Platform Guides Admin interface or through other systems you have set up, like an access team. Then you simply ensure that the "read only" guide is not shared with any restricted Authors, which will mean they cannot see or modify the guide.

Here are some links for your reference:
    Guides Restricted Roles

Access Teams with Guides

Your other request, about being able to create a new Guide based on the "read only" guide will require one of the following:
    1. Share the Guide with at least one Author (someone you trust!) so that they can create a copy and then unsharing the "read only" Guide.
    OR
    2. Keep at least one of your Authors with the standard "Author" role, which means they are not restricted and have access to view and modify all Guides in your environment. This would mean any of your standard "Author" roles could create a duplicate of the "read only" Guide for restricted Authors to use after it is shared with them.
    OR
    3. Build a PowerAutomate process that can access your Guides Dataverse Environment to create a duplicate of a given Guide and then Share that Guide with all your restricted "Author" roles.

I hope this is useful for you and please let me know if you have any other questions.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Replay now available! Dynamics 365 Community Call (CRM Edition)

Catch up on the first D365 Community Call held on 7/10

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Saurav Dhyani!

Congratulations to the June Top 10 community leaders!

These stars go above and beyond . . .

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 288,459 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,783 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans