Skip to main content

Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Microsoft Dynamics SL forum
Suggested answer

User cannot log into Dynamics SL system

Posted on by Microsoft Employee

User passwords are suppose to be windows authenticated but for some reason they are not.  This user forgot their password to log into Dynamics SL and their windows password will not let them into Dynamics.  Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thank you

• Community Member Profile Picture
    Community Member Microsoft Employee on at
    RE: User cannot log into Dynamics SL system

Also, make sure the user does not have a password defined in SL User Maintenance.

You may need to work with your SL partner or open a support request with Microsoft on this.  I suspect that Windows authentication is actually working but the failing users have something wrong with their rights.  From your response, I am assuming that you checked the Windows user id entry for that user and it was correct and that you have SL set up for Windows authentication.

When you open SL does the login screen show the company field as well as the user id field and password field?  If you click on the find Database button, is the correct SQL instance and system (not application) database name showing?

When using Windows authentication, SL also needs the user to have rights to the various SQL databases (system and application) under the SQL security.

I have sometimes narrowed the problem down by having the failing user launch SL Database Maintenance and attempt to connect using Windows authentication.  If that fails then the issue is likely on the SQL security side.  If that connects, then you can typically ignore the SQL side of the possible cause list.

I am also assuming that other users can log in just fine and the problem is limited to just these users.

Finally, have you tried resetting the user password under administration / user?

My co-worker from IT who has been working on this problem with me, says the real problem is that windows authentication is not working properly.  He said we either need to get it working or disable it.  Is this something support would have to help with?

• Suggested answer
    Community Member Profile Picture

If you have SL set up to use Windows authentication then, under the sysadmin user, go to administration / user maintenance and select that user.  On that screen you will see a field for the Window's user ID.  Make sure that is the same user name they use to log into the network.  If this field is correct then, perhaps, this user does not have rights to the SQL database.

Also, make sure the login screen is connected to the correct system database.  You can use the find database under File to specify the SQL instance name and system database name.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Replay now available! Dynamics 365 Community Call (CRM Edition)

Catch up on the first D365 Community Call held on 7/10

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Saurav Dhyani!

Congratulations to the June Top 10 community leaders!

These stars go above and beyond . . .

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 288,459 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,783 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans