I wrote this a couple months ago and didn’t get a chance to post it, but that doesn’t change the fact that I like checklists!

Not everyone does, and I don’t understand it. Who wouldn’t want to use a tool that routinizes your month end (or daily, weekly, quarterly or annual) processes, reducing your reliance on memory? And, for that matter, reduces your risk of a key employee getting hit by the proverbial bus.

Checklists can be found in most modules under routines. Microsoft Dynamics GP even provides a starting checklist in some cases, particularly sales. However, let’s look at the month end checklist I use in our own company.

End of Month Checklist

As you can see above, you can design checklists for different modules with different frequencies. In our office, we only use the month end frequency.

Double clicking on routine can open a GP window, an external task such as spreadsheet or URL, or run a macro that might open a specific report. As these routines are accessed through the checklist, they are date/time stamped with a user ID. My checklists include links to GP windows, specific report options, SSRS reports and Excel spreadsheets. I still have to know what to do when I open the routine, of course, but if I should become incapacitated at least my replacement would have a starting point. And, if my month end routine gets interrupted, I would know where I left off.

Checklists such as these evolve over time, and it is easy to add new routines or re-sequence your steps, as you can see from the buttons on the right side of the screen. So you end up with exactly the process your company needs.

What’s not to like?

If you have questions about using checklists leave a comment or ask me, stuart.gamm@criticaledgegroup.com

ShareThis